starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee pt. deux

Default Coffee pt. deux

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I tried to reply in the original coffee thread, but alas, it is closed. I recently started enjoying my coffee a bit more. I picked up some of the cafe du monde blend w/ chicory and discovered that the smokey flavor that the chicory provides is quite appealing to me. I would like to make a half decent version of this, as the cafe du monde blend comes pre-roasted and ground.

Rip, if I remember correctly from the last thread, I understand that you use chicory to create this style of coffee, but you use your own beans; what type of bean is best for this blend?

I also wanted to share that I tried adding a small bit of coconut oil to my cup, and it is very good if anyone else wants to give it a whirl.

I don't think the beans matter that much if you're blending with chicory. Just makes sure they're fresh, i.e. have been roasted within the last week. I buy my supplies from www.sweetmarias.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think the beans matter that much if you're blending with chicory. Just makes sure they're fresh, i.e. have been roasted within the last week. I buy my supplies from www.sweetmarias.com
    I can't get enough Sweet Maria's, if you don't roast your own they also have two roasted drip coffees and two espresso roasts available most of the time in addition to their large selection of green beans. The roasted stuff is always super fresh too.

I've been buying from sweet marias for years, they're great on price and consistency.

I don't use chicory but I roast a lot of different single origin coffees and any of the Sumatra coffees seem to be the most widely liked when I'm giving coffee away.

In the store a few weeks ago I saw green coffee beans being sold as a supplement.

Huh.

How do you feel about storing beans, Rip? Either vacuum pack, or in a mason jar, or what have you. Obviously open sacks of beans are going to have a lot of opportunity to interact with the atmosphere, but this is much less so for either option above.

Or is it internal bean chemistry that you're worried about? Are beans inherently chemically unstable after roasting, and will simply decline in awesomeness over time, no matter inert their storing situation?

Thanks, Coach. I've been doing some research, and I think I'm going to try manual roasting very soon based on the good word. I'll definitely be making the first batch with some chicory.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Or is it internal bean chemistry that you're worried about? Are beans inherently chemically unstable after roasting, and will simply decline in awesomeness over time, no matter inert their storing situation?
    How do you store toast? Same deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    Thanks, Coach. I've been doing some research, and I think I'm going to try manual roasting very soon based on the good word. I'll definitely be making the first batch with some chicory.
    Don't blend your first batch, for god's sake. Just drink the coffee so you'll know what you've got.

Green beans can be stored pretty easily if you don't live in a real humid environment.

Roasted beans should be sealed up in a mason type jar or something. The first few days the beans give off so much gas that the gas displaces oxygen and helps a little in keeping them fresh, but really, once you've practically set them on fire through roasting there's not much you can do. That's the point of fresh roast, the key is to just not let it get that old in the first place.

And like the coach said, don't blend anything when you start or how will you know what the baseline is? Get a coffee from each major growing region; get an Ethiopian, and an Indonesian, and a couple from the Americas. Then see what you like.

starting strength coach development program
    Don't blend your first batch, for god's sake. Just drink the coffee so you'll know what you've got.
    Fair enough, I'll hold off. God damnit is that chicory a good addition from what I've had so far though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast