starting strength gym

Thread: Are back extensions really in SS?

Default Are back extensions really in SS?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, on the SS website it does not say do add back extensions on the days you do chin ups. But I’ve seen many people say that back extensions are added on chin up days. I would just like to know which is right. And IF back extensions are a part of the program, can they be replaced with RDLs? Why or why not?

I think back extensions are mostly an artifact of older iterations of the SSLP. Maybe some people still do/program them, but I don't.

Ok, I appreciate the reply.

Unless my memory is particularly wonky, the seminar course material from earlier this month included back extensions as part of the novice programming, as does the current printing of the book.

Assistance/supplementary exercises are given as examples. They aren't "the program" per se and only chins are put out as actively recommended for addition early on. Thus you see "you might decide" and "if" associated adding GHR/extensions in the examples in SS.

People ask for templates to be converted into specific examples and next thing you know they mistake them not just for the template, but for their own, individual program. This problem is much worse moving into late novice and intermediate (eg thinking that 5x5 on Monday = THE volume used for Texas Method, rather something completely adjustable within the template, which is 1) high volume/moderate intensity 2) light 3) low volume/high intensity with weekly progression on the primary lifts).

As far as your question, Bobby32, you experiment by adding in exercises carefully, always keeping in mind that the goal is to drive overall strength and that assistance is not added gratuitously.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Assistance/supplementary exercises are given as examples. They aren't "the program" per se and only chins are put out as actively recommended for addition early on. Thus you see "you might decide" and "if" associated adding GHR/extensions in the examples in SS.

People ask for templates to be converted into specific examples and next thing you know they mistake them not just for the template, but for their own, individual program. This problem is much worse moving into late novice and intermediate (eg thinking that 5x5 on Monday = THE volume used for Texas Method, rather something completely adjustable within the template, which is 1) high volume/moderate intensity 2) light 3) low volume/high intensity with weekly progression on the primary lifts).

As far as your question, Bobby32, you experiment by adding in exercises carefully, always keeping in mind that the goal is to drive overall strength and that assistance is not added gratuitously.
    This is such a good post.