starting strength gym

Thread: Education

Default Education

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First off read several of the basic books, SS,PP,Strong Enough, and enjoy this site immensely ... they were very informative. Anyways i am currently a Marine who will be getting out at the end of the year and plan on attending the Fall 2011 school year and have a stong desire to become a strength and conditioning coach, most schools i look at offer Exercise Science degrees which seems relatively appropriate choice for a degree. But Was wondering if your had suggestions for a BA degree to help with becoming a S&C coach/professional. Thank You for your input.

Never above you, Never below you
    Always beside you

Search Function.

Ill throw you a lifeline since you're a Marine. Obviously I don't speak for Mark but I believe I've garnered a decent idea of his opinion on this matter.

Exercise science is a joke. Go get yourself a real science degree in a field such as chemistry or physics. Take an Anatomy class or two if you get the chance.

Since he's a Marine he can't use the search function? He needs a lifeline? We don't coddle Marines here. This has been discussed at great length in the past, there are many pages of information that have resulted, and he can look this up just fine.

And read Good Calories, Bad Calories. If nothing else, you'll learn to be critical of every piece of literature you ever read, and the 'facts' that then make their way into your textbooks based on said literature. You need to know the difference between good science, and bad science.

Thanks for the reply guys definitely going pick up that book. I tried using the search function and it was like asking Helen Keller for directions that's why I posted the the question. So article names would help out a lot thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    And read Good Calories, Bad Calories. If nothing else, you'll learn to be critical of every piece of literature you ever read, and the 'facts' that then make their way into your textbooks based on said literature. You need to know the difference between good science, and bad science.
    If you want to learn how to be critical of information (not like "all information sucks and is wrong," but, "all information should be evaluated with a reliable set of objective criteria"), you should read something like Why People Believe Weird Things or How We Believe by Michael Shermer. I think the field of skepticism is a great way to sharpen your critical thinking skills, and to introduce oneself to the many cognitive biases and logical missteps people make when evaluating information. The Skeptoid podcast ("Critical Analysis of Pop Phenomena") is a pretty entertaining, bite-size entree into the field of skeptical thought, if you wanna dip your toe in first.