starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM Volume DOMS

Default TM Volume DOMS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This may be an arbitrary question, but I'm wondering about people's perceived soreness following volume squats.
    The DOMS are essentially lasting me until ID day, if not to it and potentially through it. I understand everyone recovers and builds up lactic. Acid differently, but is this a standard occurrence for folks who have used TM? Or is this a sign my protein intake/recovery may be subpar??

Base TM when i tried (for a short time) gave me DOMS like yours. I just felt the volume was to focused on one day and until i hit volume again to long so i got DOMS again.

I've been TMing squats for about a couple months now, and it's pretty standard for me, although the soreness is nowhere near as crippling as it was. Now, it's more about two or three little 'trigger points' instead of the entire lower body.

You might look at your Light Day for help. I find that if I squat juuuust enough on that day, it 'flushes out' the soreness. low volume, low intensity.

Also, Volume Squats need to be followed by Volume Protein + Volume Epsom Bath + Volume PVC roller + Sex (at any volume) + Volume Sleep.

I think that it is unusual for soreness to last that long after VD. Something is amiss there.

I only got light DOMS for a day when I had to take a few days off, thus making the TM week longer; when my macros were too low, and/or did not get enough sleep.

Maybe you are increasing the weight too much on VD? I increase the weight so that it is within a very small margin of the percentage (me 85%) of previous ID.

If your water and food intake are adequate, I think the DOMs will eventually subside as you become accustomed to volume.

My individual squat sessions are 10k to 15k tonnage at a minimum, and I rarely get sore anymore. Tired yes, sore...no.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    This may be an arbitrary question, but I'm wondering about people's perceived soreness following volume squats.
    The DOMS are essentially lasting me until ID day, if not to it and potentially through it. I understand everyone recovers and builds up lactic. Acid differently, but is this a standard occurrence for folks who have used TM? Or is this a sign my protein intake/recovery may be subpar??
    Where do you feel the worst soreness?

I have a similar issue in that i get sore adductors after volume day some weeks. Whereabouts are you feeling DOMS

Adductors and where I imagine "hip drahve"

I'm doing TM as a 4 day split, so volume squats follows ID deadlift on a friday. Yes, I'm usually sore until monday.

Thngs that help: drinking a shit load of water; eating more; light exercise (go for a walk/bike ride); foam rolling/LAX ball. Things that didn't help: abstaining from alcohol; dieting

starting strength coach development program
    I'll often become sore in the quads, anterior deltoids and sometimes gluteals after VD (3 x 5 on VD). I don't do the lighter squats on Wednesday. Did them for a while and didn't feel like it helped. Just painful. I do PRESS, PC, WEIGHTED CHINS on my light day now and I've noticed the PC help tremendously. Usually I'm feeling recovered by late Thursday.
    As the training cycle progresses you should expect to carry over a little more fatigue, but with TM your goal is to hit PR's on ID. Sometimes that means making adjustments to your VD weights. Yes, over time the volume must be pushed up as well. After all, strength is built on a foundation of volume (Thomas Kurz: Science of Sports Training).
    If you’re finding it hard to recover you have to take a look at the amount of volume on VD. If you are doing 5 x 5 you might benefit from 3-4 x 5.
    Also, take a look at your recovery. Food, water, sleep, low intensity activity on non-training days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast