starting strength gym

Thread: DL Form Check, Please!

Default DL Form Check, Please!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Coaches,

I've been trying to find the right cue to engage my legs. I feel like my back is still doing a lot of work even though I know it shouldn't be.

Here I am doing 185x1x4, my workout before I did 175x1x5 and was able to get all 5 up. I feel like i have the strength to do them, i just need help on my form.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this

https://youtu.be/y7AHzjow8kg

The deadlift is a back exercise. There is no way around this. In fact, it is why we deadlift. The legs are certainly involved, but there is a limited amount of knee extension to be done in the deadlift. It is primarily hip extension. You are not doing anything significantly wrong here. I would, however, narrow your stance slightly and drive your knees out until they touch your elbows. Then, just drag the bar up your legs. I also recommend that you pull in your lifting shoes. The reason you missed 185 is probably because you took too big of a jump. Go after 180. Then add five pounds at a go. My bet is that you will get all of your reps.

Ohhh ok, thank you for the feedback. I will definitely make those adjustments in my next workout!