starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a recent Podcast with Jordan

Question Question about a recent Podcast with Jordan

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys!

In a recent podcast about Nutrition and SS, Rip said that it's important to become stronger as you get older since it helps you with your daily activies and general health, and he doesn't care about his belly. I've read that argument on the forum and other articles. I'm no health expert but I agree with Rip's argument.

What I don't follow is that he suggest to Jordan to get 'fatter' too, I don't recall how much. I mean, there's much evidence indicating that limiting calories helps you to live longer and other benefits. Don't you think it is bad advice? The best scenario as you get older would be to become stronger and still don't get too much fat, in my opinion.

What did I get wrong?

By the way, I love SS podcast. Keep it up!

Thank you.

What is your question?

I think you said it's not possible to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time unless complete novice.

My question is, for someone who's been training for 2 years or so, are you saying we can't 'recomp' if calories are held constant!? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    I think you said it's not possible to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time unless complete novice.

My question is, for someone who's been training for 2 years or so, are you saying we can't 'recomp' if calories are held constant!? :-(
    Pretty much.

Does that mean that someone who wants to cut fat and gain muscle should cycle between a caloric surplus and deficit?

What exactly is the purpose of the recomp diet in To Be A Beast if we pretty much can't recomp if calories are held constant?

But rip is right....if you gained weight you would be an elite level lifter Jordan. For a skinny 190lb you ain't bad at all bro considering your hight....I guess image is more important when you ain't married or settled in some way ......oh well let's follow what "society" sees as norm/healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Does that mean that someone who wants to cut fat and gain muscle should cycle between a caloric surplus and deficit?

What exactly is the purpose of the recomp diet in To Be A Beast if we pretty much can't recomp if calories are held constant?
    That's one way to work it, yes. It's a slightly smaller calorie reduction than the "fat loss" recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-man View Post
    But rip is right....if you gained weight you would be an elite level lifter Jordan. For a skinny 190lb you ain't bad at all bro considering your hight....I guess image is more important when you ain't married or settled in some way ......oh well let's follow what "society" sees as norm/healthy.
    Yea, just not motivated to do it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea, just not motivated to do it at this point.
    I appreciate that comment. I can relate in the reverse. 5'11" 235-240. Just kind of hanging out. I wouldn't mind being leaner, but I am not motivated enough to justify the effort/energy expenditure. I don't compete. Just a middle aged guy that prefers to keep trying to get strong and enjoy my food. That said, I don't whine and complain about being fat. Because it is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    That's one way to work it, yes. It's a slightly smaller calorie reduction than the "fat loss" recommendations.
    What other ways are there?

Please consider writing about recomp in a bit more detail, as there seem to be a lot of posts about it.

starting strength coach development program
    What other ways are there?

Please consider writing about recomp in a bit more detail, as there seem to be a lot of posts about it.
    There are NO ways to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, in general. That's not what I was saying.

I was addressing that if you want to cut fat/gain muscle slowly over time it's a decent strategy to have periods of elevated caloric intake alternating with periods of reduced intake.

I may write about recomp at some point mostly just to tell people they can't really do it and they shouldn't try to do it while attempting to do a novice LP. You should do the LP unmolested, gain or maintain weight depending on your demographic, then reassess after that and adjust nutrition and conditioning as your goals are fleshed out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast