starting strength gym

Thread: Plan for an experienced but heavy lifter re-doing LP?

Default Plan for an experienced but heavy lifter re-doing LP?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Jordan,

After spinning my wheels doing intermediate programs for like 1-2 years, I returned to doing a linear progression, and I have been hitting all time PRs for 5x3 with no signs of stalling so far. However, my BW is getting too close for comfort to the 300lb mark, and I am planning to shed some fluff off. However, I am not sure when, especially when I am having the smoothest progress on my lifts ever.

Do I just try to maintain my weight until I complete my LP, or is a slight cut through some HIIT possible for my already heavy weight?

Height: 6 ft 1
    Weight: 270-275lbs
    BF %: I am not sure...my waist is around 40 inches, so my BF is "supposed" to be 20-25%, but I would say that most of my "bulge" is muscle/abs. From your experience, could that mean 15-20%?
    Macros: I havent been tracking too much lately, but if I have to guess its around 225/325/125 on average.

Squat: 385 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 235 x 5 x 3
    OHP: 145 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 430 x 5

I would bet your body fat as measured by DEXA is closer to 30%, which is not a slight towards you- just more of a statement than anything else. It'd be hard to think a 275lb guy w/ 15% BF (235lbs lean mass or so) is pressing 145 x 5 x 3, you know?

If your LP is going well then ride that thing to the bitter end. You don't need to gain weight to do this, however. Then you can slowly diet for awhile to a final weight of around 220-240 depending on your habitus and genetics.