starting strength gym

Thread: Low bone density

Default Low bone density

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi there
    I have oesteroporosis & low bone density due to fracture on my L1 & L5 previously. After doing SS for 3 weeks got stress fracture on my knees. I started again after few weeks in recovery. I really feel good following SS & can see my body growing bigger. My doctor just told me weight lifting is not my sport & i should start playing chess. I wish doctors would lift weight too. Should i stop weight lifting or continue with low weight. Or a visit to physiotherapist would help? I would appreciate any advice. Just curius if i can find SS coach in Sydney?

SSC Pemberton is in Sidney; you can find his info here.

Can you find a new doctor?

It's possible you'll need to make some modifications to the basic program (depending on your age, extent of bone density loss, etc) but it seems like strength training is one of the main things you can do to improve bone density and a decent doctor would recognize that and support it (even the standard "light weights for 8 - 12 reps" would be a better prescription than "sit around growing more fragile and wait to die").

My 70 year old wife was diagnosed with osteoporosis around 3 years ago. She started lifting under the watchful eye of our SS coach Dr. Sullivan. One and a half years ago she was examined again. She no longer has osteoporosis. Do get a proper Doctor as two people have already suggested. Can you also find a certified SS coach so you could get at least one consultation with him/her?

Lifting generally makes bones denser. So, unless you have something else going on, you need to lift. My mom's experience parallels Carson's wife. She added bone mass in her 70s from lifting weights.