starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ab wheel wearing out shoulders

Default Ab wheel wearing out shoulders

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey, I just built my own ab wheel and upon using it, I noticed that (besides the obvious ab workout) it sort of wears out my shoulders. I'm not sure if this is enough to affect my recovery for my bench/OHP, but it has me a tad worried. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I simply doing them wrong, or is this to be expected? And if anyone else had a similar experience, did it end up affecting your press and bench?

I think it is to be expected. It doesn't seem to bother me at all, but then, I always perform them last.

Kyle Schuant Guest

How many reps are you doing?

The ab wheel is a thing where you don't need to do as many reps as you think. Focus on increasing the range of motion and increasing the time under tension, rather than speeding through doing zillions of reps.

I begin to feel fatigue in my triceps over 12ish reps.

The tricep involvement is similar to a pull over or pull up, which is quite a lot. But cannot see how it would wear out your shoulders much. If it is why not do hanging leg raises instead?

Im impressed with 12 reps. I do them standing and go almost flush with the floor- but use the wall as a stopper- time under tension and hard contraction of abs is what I look for- if I feel it in my shoulders or flexors I assume that Im doing it wrong.

I usually work - 5-7 reps- but have never gotten belly to the floor- always at least a slight pike.

I think its very easy to cheat on rollouts- Ive never felt a strain in my shoulders b/c I dont really use my shoulders to pull me back.
    Last edited by JM3; 08-07-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    The tricep involvement is similar to a pull over or pull up, which is quite a lot. But cannot see how it would wear out your shoulders much. If it is why not do hanging leg raises instead?
    I've never done twelve in a row, but as far as arms are concerned my shoulders "feel" it much more than any other part. Also, if you're concerned about the ab wheel limiting your recovery on bench or press, scale 'em back.

I wish I could do the ab wheel at *all.* It makes my lower back scream pretty quickly, even doing them from the knees. I just can't decide if it's worth "working through" that.

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    I wish I could do the ab wheel at *all.* It makes my lower back scream pretty quickly, even doing them from the knees. I just can't decide if it's worth "working through" that.
    Ease through it, it's a great exercise. Your abdominals may not as strong as you think they are.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    Im impressed with 12 reps. I do them standing and go almost flush with the floor- but use the wall as a stopper- time under tension and hard contraction of abs is what I look for- if I feel it in my shoulders or flexors I assume that Im doing it wrong.

I usually work - 5-7 reps- but have never gotten belly to the floor- always at least a slight pike.

I think its very easy to cheat on rollouts- Ive never felt a strain in my shoulders b/c I dont really use my shoulders to pull me back.

I don't do them standing lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast