starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal body parts and muscle/bone growth.

Default Metal body parts and muscle/bone growth.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip, have you ever dealt with anyone who had metal body parts that experienced localized soreness or mild pain after lifting for a while? I have a 6 inch metal rod that held my clavicle together after a biking accident several years ago screwed into my shoulder. After about 6 weeks of doing bench and the press, I've been getting minor pain in that shoulder only... not while lifting, just in the last few days since. It doesn't seem to be any weaker than the other arm, just sore in a way the other isn't. I wondered if muscle or bone growth could cause this (as infinitesimally small as that growth may be at my age - 36) I suppose with the weather down here changing, it could also just be change in barometric pressure.

Bone growth could be causing the pain. It's part of the adaptation, and the plate may be interfering with some of it. It can't be the weather, because your skin is, of course, there.

It is most likely the weather. I have had my metal now for a better part of 9 years and it is always the weather... or impact such as running. Sometimes it is sore while lifting but usually the muscular strain helps mask the actual bone pains.

Please explain how the weather communicates with your metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Barometric pressure could easily have an influence on our bodies (differential pressure change). Weather only really could effect it through heat exchange or as I just mentioned pressure change.

As best as I know it is a commonly observed phenomenon that has several "hypothesis" as to what causes it, but has not been studied well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I can't explain it. I can only state that I have experienced it ever since it was put inside of me. It may be a situation of "correlation does not imply causation," but regardless, when the weather changes (specifically, goes from warm and dry to cool and humid), I feel it in my shoulder. The difference is that it's never been anything I would describe as mild pain before, until now. So barring any other unseen variable, the only thing markedly different in my life is the lifting.

Barometric pressure is the ambient air pressure produced by the weight of the air column above the measuring point. So, by this analysis, a guy like Dave from San Antonio is going to hurt when he drives from home at 751 foot elevation to Amarillo at 3678 feet. Or, god forbid, DENVER. What about when he goes to Corpus Christi?

The hell if I know why, I just know that it does. If i jump in the freezing ass ocean my bone that has metal inside of it hurts like when I broke the damn thing. When the weather changes from hot and dry to cool and wet the thing aches and causes shooting pain for the better part of the day. If I ride my motorcycle in the cold without warm enough pants on my leg hurts until I warm up a good amount.

Maybe the titanium expands and contracts at a slightly different rate than my bone and thus causes the pain? All I know is that when my leg is cold or the weather changes rapidly I am in crippling pain limping around and gritting my teeth.

Just because somebody hasn't come up with a good enough scientific explanation doesn't mean that the phenomenon does not occur, it just means that we don't know how it occurs.

I can vouch for the phenomena as well. If it is cold and rainy, my hip (which has a few screws in it) develops a very deep, but mild, soreness.

starting strength coach development program
    I have two screws in my right knee and I've never felt a thing. I guess this proves that some of us feel something sometimes and some of us don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast