starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thought you might like this

Default Thought you might like this

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is just some stuff I'm learning in my Sports and Preventive Care Class (not majoring sports medicine had to take a gym related coarse though and thought wth I could learn some good stuff)
    (this is summaries [the important I got out of the book for my homework] of everything)
    Overload-To cause physiological change, super compensation must occur (sounds familiar?)

SAID principles- When the body is subjected to stresses & overloads of varying intensities, it will gradually adapt overtime to overcome whatever demands are placed on it
    Consistency- An individual must engage in a program consistently to be effective

Progression- Increase the intensity of program gradually and with the individuals ability to adapt to increasing workload (sounds really fucking familiar)

SO they know wtf linear progression is but don't actually use it. The book went on to say that 20% bf and over is obese (so apparently zach was fat [even though we all know he was/isn't]). Isokentic exercise is an effective way of training. healthy body fat % for males 8-12% (im unhealthy apparently). Oh and this one is good too, to much vitamin D can cause WEIGHTLOSE, appetite lose, failure to grow. Wonder how that works for Starr or the large amount of people doing GOMAD.

Then the teacher says High reps is the way to train with weights and everyone in my class now thinks that.

This is why you're better off with a geology degree.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    The book went on to say that 20% bf and over is obese (so apparently zach was fat [even though we all know he was/isn't]).healthy body fat % for males 8-12% (im unhealthy apparently).
    How about this for idiotic....

I was speaking to one of the lead military researchers in the field of nutrition, and while discussing performance nutrition with the researcher, this individual acknowledged that 15-20% bodyfat was absolutely optimal for athletic purposes......however, they couldn't consciously submit that as a recommendation for changing military bodyfat standards because 15-20% bodyfat "does not present a soldierly appearance".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is why you're better off with a geology degree.
    Pays well does it?

As a matter of fact, the starting salary of a petroleum geologist is approaching $100K these days. The starting salary of an exercise science degree is whatever Gold's pays the pinsetters.

I may have mentioned this before, but... I was talking to a staff member at the centre's reception. Like many staff members at the Y she's just working part-time doing a degree, in her case in exercise science. I mentioned a recent training session, and she said,
    "What's an Olympic barbell?"
    I paused, collected myself, described it to her, and said, "You're in third year, yeah? Don't they teach you this stuff?"
    "We don't really study exercises in the degree."
    "You don't study exercises... in Exercise Science?"
    "It sounds funny, I know. We do programming, though."
    "How do you programme exercises if you've not studied them? It'd be like me in my old profession writing menus when I didn't know any recipes."
    "We just programme the exercises we know."
    I stopped there, not wanting to ask, "But... what if they're not appropriate for the person's capabilities and goals?" since I was getting scared of the answers.

I wouldn't necessarily expect them to know how to perform and coach a snatch or something, but they should at least know Olympic barbells exist.

As a matter of fact, the starting salary of a petroleum geologist is approaching $100K these days. The starting salary of an exercise science degree is whatever Gold's pays the pinsetters.
    In CA, licensed geologists doing environmental geology (e.g., groundwater remediation) or engineering geology (e.g., designing retaining walls, etc) typically make in excess of $100K. The gig is pretty good.

Who needs a barbell when they make machines to exercise every body part imaginable?

Sigh.

This is why we have entire threads dedicated to whiskey and beer on a strength training forum, we are given a reason to drink and we must now figure out what to drink.

starting strength coach development program
    And "hard rock" economic geology is no joke either. It's a good field, dollar wise, and one learns rather a lot of additional sciences depending on your field. Plus, geologists are awesome people, and as a group, probably the fittest scientists (ecologists may give them a run, but Geologists can drink them under the table and I count that as a measure of fitness, so they win).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast