starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe started SS with too low of weight? starting week 3 on Sat

Default Maybe started SS with too low of weight? starting week 3 on Sat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I followed the book's instructions about your first set on each exercise to determine how much weight to use. I was challenged on each exercise when I picked my set. This is what I am curious about though.

I have added 10 lbs to my squat each time and notice the 4th and 5th rep are usually pretty difficult for me. I have been adding 5 lbs to bench and press with the same result. Deadlift I was adding 10 lbs each time but noticed it was lower than my squat and added 15lbs to the last two workouts and was able to complete all the sets. I think part of this is due to me getting better at the lifts so i am more used to the situation. But maybe I just started too low. Not sure if thats a big deal or not.

The other thing is I am eating all I can (healthy) and tracking it. I am eating past my maintenance and maintaning at least 1g/lbs of bodyweight each day. I am only gaining about 1 lbs per week though and my stomach is shrinking. I am 5'8 147lbs about 14% bodyfat.

I guess what i am curious about is that I am not gaining much weight but I am still seeing big increases on the weight each workout? I wonder if I started too low of weight or if since I am a noob just eating much more healthy and past maintenance is enough at the beginning to see big increases?

So your question is: Why are you still able to add 10lbs on each workout?
    and Why arent you gaining loads of weight even though your lifts are going up?

Are you fucking with us?

How long have you been on novice progression?
    Do a little math and project where you would be in 6 months just continuing what you are doing. I doubt you started too light. That's much better than starting too heavy anyway.

Don't change anything, it will get harder. A LOT harder. This is good though, you didn't go overboard with your eating at the start when it was too easy. Like ColoWayno said, there isn't much wrong with starting too light. The biggest risk is overeating when the weight is light and putting on more fat than necessary. You didn't do that so that's good.

At your bodyweight you will probably stall sooner than later without gaining some weight. Just keep upping your food intake as needed as you feel the sets getting tougher to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    So your question is: Why are you still able to add 10lbs on each workout?
    and Why arent you gaining loads of weight even though your lifts are going up?

Are you fucking with us?
    No i am thinking of the whole thing Rip wrote if you havent gained this amount of weight in this amount of time YNDTP!!!!! > So I am really not on track to gain a significant amount of weight at this rate. I am not fat and I am down a belt loop so iam guessing my body is using the fat to make up the lack of calories i am not eating. Maybe it would catch up with me if I dont increase calories?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo SS View Post
    No i am thinking of the whole thing Rip wrote if you havent gained this amount of weight in this amount of time YNDTP!!!!! > So I am really not on track to gain a significant amount of weight at this rate. I am not fat and I am down a belt loop so iam guessing my body is using the fat to make up the lack of calories i am not eating. Maybe it would catch up with me if I dont increase calories?
    Rip never said that you had to gain a specific amount of bodyweight to be doing the program. In fact the clarification article exaplins that gaining weight is not necessarily part of the program at first.
    You'll need the bodyweight to go up sooner than later though. So just be ready to start eating when things get harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Don't change anything, it will get harder. A LOT harder. This is good though, you didn't go overboard with your eating at the start when it was too easy. Like ColoWayno said, there isn't much wrong with starting too light. The biggest risk is overeating when the weight is light and putting on more fat than necessary. You didn't do that so that's good.

At your bodyweight you will probably stall sooner than later without gaining some weight. Just keep upping your food intake as needed as you feel the sets getting tougher to complete.
    +1. You cannot start SS too low. Don't worry about gaining more weight either, as long as the bar keeps moving.

You've only been on the program for 3 weeks. You can squat more than you can now, but it won't be good for progression. As stated before, yes, it WILL get hard. In the beginning I didn't need to rest hardly at all but you better believe I was sore the first time. Don't worry about it, keep increasing 10lbs as long as possible then drop to 5 on your bigger lifts then you'll see when it catches up to you.

Like I said, just because you found your starting weight at X from either slowing down or form breaking doesn't mean you couldn't lift more. It just wouldn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo SS View Post
    I followed the book's instructions about your first set on each exercise to determine how much weight to use. I was challenged on each exercise when I picked my set. This is what I am curious about though.

I have added 10 lbs to my squat each time and notice the 4th and 5th rep are usually pretty difficult for me. I have been adding 5 lbs to bench and press with the same result. Deadlift I was adding 10 lbs each time but noticed it was lower than my squat and added 15lbs to the last two workouts and was able to complete all the sets. I think part of this is due to me getting better at the lifts so i am more used to the situation. But maybe I just started too low. Not sure if thats a big deal or not.

The other thing is I am eating all I can (healthy) and tracking it. I am eating past my maintenance and maintaning at least 1g/lbs of bodyweight each day. I am only gaining about 1 lbs per week though and my stomach is shrinking. I am 5'8 147lbs about 14% bodyfat.

I guess what i am curious about is that I am not gaining much weight but I am still seeing big increases on the weight each workout? I wonder if I started too low of weight or if since I am a noob just eating much more healthy and past maintenance is enough at the beginning to see big increases?
    And your girlfriend is too hot and insatiable, and you only have 4 parking spots so now you have to decide whether to get rid of M3 or the 911 ?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    and your girlfriend is too hot and insatiable, and you only have 4 parking spots so now you have to decide whether to get rid of m3 or the 911 ?
    lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast