starting strength gym

Thread: Assistance exercise for specific DL issue

Default Assistance exercise for specific DL issue

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey.
    I'm "advanced-intermediate" lifter(weight ~75kg, squat-145x5, bench-120x5, DL-180x5) and I have an issue with my DL.
    At this high weight, I find it hard to keep my chest up/out after the second/third rep. My chest caving in a bit. This is not a dramatic caving, but one that I would like to avoid in order to keep my technique perfect.
    I feel like this is the only thing that is holding me back right now(in my DL's), and I need to find an assistance exercise that will help me improve it.
    Is that a common issue and can you think of an assistance exercise that will help with that?

Thanks.

squatsocks Guest

at that weight it's normal for form to start breaking down after some reps

as buddy said thats normal however you could always do more back work if your worried about keeping your shoulders back. (pullups, rows, shrugs to an extent.)

Thanks for the reply's.

I figure it might be OK that my form is breaking a bit(it's not major but I feel it). I was wondering if there is a specific assistance exercise that will help me with that specific issue. This is the only issue I have with DL, I feel I could DL much more without this issue.

I know there are assistance exercises for specific issues with squat for example. I'm not sure if there is the same thing with DL.

Standard deadlift assistance exercises are rack pulls, romanian deadlifts, straight-leg deadlifts, halting deadlifts. One of those is probably what you're looking for.

Have you split your deads into rack pulls/haltings yet?

They help you focus on body positions and good technique a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidlyfat View Post
    Standard deadlift assistance exercises are rack pulls, romanian deadlifts, straight-leg deadlifts, halting deadlifts. One of those is probably what you're looking for.
    In addition, goodmornings may be a good option

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 250orBust View Post
    as buddy said thats normal however you could always do more back work if your worried about keeping your shoulders back. (pullups, rows, shrugs to an extent.)
    while deferring to those stronger than me- I would tend to agree with this - upper back and lats would seem to be a good place to focus on for assistance-leaving the more pos chain stuff out of the effort. Just a thought.