starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: metallic smell during heavy squats

Default metallic smell during heavy squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys,

Not sure whether this question belongs here or somewhere else. I've noticed for the last few squat workouts (at >= 225 lbs) an odd sensation that I can only describe as a metallic smell after I'm done with the squats. It seems to coincide with the sets that I would subjectively rate as difficult to finish, and it only seems to happen with squats. Is this common? I searched the site, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
    Jason

Are you doing the valsalva really hard? Like actively pushing blood into your head whilst doing squats? I assume what you mean by "metallic smell" is not a smell at all, but similar to the sensation that you might get after getting punched in the nose.

Anyways, try taking a slightly less ridiculous breath of air before each squat. Think 70% rather than 100% of lung capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by PressesPeople View Post
    Are you doing the valsalva really hard? Like actively pushing blood into your head whilst doing squats? I assume what you mean by "metallic smell" is not a smell at all, but similar to the sensation that you might get after getting punched in the nose.

Anyways, try taking a slightly less ridiculous breath of air before each squat. Think 70% rather than 100% of lung capacity.

Yes, your description of the sensation is correct.

I am doing the valsalva hard, but I don't think I'm doing it *that* hard. I definitely could fit more air in my lungs. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong; I'll have to read up on it. Thanks.

Probably just tasting iron.

What's your resting heart rate?

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    That was my guess- like sucking on coins.
    Yeah...I've had this sensation in two very distinct contexts:

- doing intense exercise while in shitty shape
    - 30 minutes before having a seizure.

In the case of the OP, I'm hoping it's the former.

Resting heart rate is something like high 60's, I think, though I don't really check it at all.

I've definitely had a similar, but quite distinct sensation before. In high school when we had to run laps in gym class and I was roughly way-too-many-pounds overweight. In that case, though, it was more of a taste than a smell.

Hopefully I'm not about to have any seizures. I'm not terribly worried about it; curiosity made me ask.

It'll probably go away when you get stronger & your heart adjusts to the heavy loads.

Maybe mix in some light conditioning once you're stronger.v

Cool, thanks for the info.

Are you on a strict low/no carb diet by any chance. That can cause some funky taste and smells as well . . . may be exaggerated when you are straining under load. (Thats what she said . . )

starting strength coach development program
    I taste/smell iron on max-effort squat reps too, for example on the last couple reps of this set:
    http://youtu.be/HaRKjekX1dg

It hasn't killed me yet, but just recently I'm experimenting with not going quite that close to failure so often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast