starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift -- I'm thinking it's (finally) good.

Default Deadlift -- I'm thinking it's (finally) good.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Deadlifts have been a real bear for me to correct since I'd done them wrong for so long. I think I may have put it together today but I would like confirmation from you wonderful folks.

The only issue I somewhat suspect is losing my lower back, but this is a max effort (and my back feels great afterward). I bailed after four b/c I thought that the loss of extension in my low back was getting bad.

Main issues/changes recently are: widened grip, pushing knees out, keeping the damn bar against my shins, leading with chest (ie, arch upper back). So basically everything, lol.

What say ye?

http://youtu.be/ViR7BVDECTY

Hmmm. Kind of hard to evaluate your back from that angle. Is there a reason you widened your grip? My first reaction was that your stance and grip were too wide. You're also trying to lead with your chest instead of drive with your legs. That's causing the bar to swing off your shins, which makes the whole thing harder. Knees straighten, then hips straighten – that's the order.

K, got more work to do than I had thought.

Will work on this (I'm about half way through the DL chapter of SSe3 as I type) and get another vid up.

Cheers!

Driving with the legs made a big difference (I extrapolated that one should lead with chest because it's the last thing Rip mentions in his dead setup post -- derp). I can see that my grip is not quite even, and I didn't do a good job of tensing up against the bar on every rep. But these were definitely better.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off without the Oly shoes. Still seems that the bar wants to get out in front (though, again, much better than before).

If possible, next time I'll get a side shot. It's not always possible to get ideal shots at the rec -- it's pretty crowded most of the time.

It's hard to evaluate anything from that angle except your grip, which you saw was uneven. I have no idea what your back looks like or which direction the bar is moving other than up. Try to get a set from the side so we can confirm you're all good.