starting strength gym

Thread: when to begin track training

Default when to begin track training

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,
    I plan on running track next year but i don't know which event for sure. I'm in high school and thinkning about 100m,200m,400m, or 800m and am working on SS right now. When should I start track workouts? I don't know if I should do anything now or not and how much would interfere with my strength gains. i want to do three track workouts per week on days i dont lift but i am fairly confident this would be a bad idea. if i do i was thinking i would do 200, 400, and 800 repeats. thanks a lot.

The event is important because of the different training requirements of the events. How old are you, and have you been training for any of the distances?

I'm sixteen, weigh 165, and am 5'11" have done some distance running on my own which I know is not the same as training for sprints, but I have not been doing much running as I have been following SS. I guess you may ask what my squat is since we're talking sprints. My last workout did 205 for three sets of five, but I went way to low and hurt my back so am rehabbing it, it feels good enough.

When you decide on an event, I can tell you more.

Okay, how should I train for 100m/200m? Is this narrow enough, or did you want only one event? I realize I better be doing power cleans, but I don't think I am allowed to do them at my gym. If I lift at school I could clean, so I may begin doing that.
    Thanks.

If you're going top be a sprinter and your track season is this spring, you should be trying to get your squat, DL, and clean up as heavy as possible now. You should get some sprint mechanics coaching now too, and practice 2x/week light until November. At that point, strength goes to 2x/week and sprint work goes up to 4x under the guidance of your sprint coach.

You can't beat the forums at charliefrancis.com for more information on training specifically for sprinting. You have to register to view the forums, but registration is free.

I hate to keep asking questions, but is there any way to find a sprint coach who is not the track coach at my school? I don't think the coach where I attend is very knowledgeable. Are there books you recommend? The only problem is that it would be very hard to teach myself how to sprint from a book. Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Contact USA Track and Field for a list of Level I coaches in your area. You may have to drive a little, depending on your location, but USATF is a good place to start.