starting strength gym

Thread: friggin shoulder!

Default friggin shoulder!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark. I hate to bother you with yet another question about shoulders..BUT...my left shoulder just does not seem to want to do the OH press. Whenever I start to press, in the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the movement, it feels like something in my shoulder is hitting something else...an impingment I guess. I've tried what you suggested in another thread to warm-up the joint (15 sec hangs and light lat-pulldown warm-up) and yet the problem remains. I also feel that following the rehab protocol isn't the right approach either since the pinching still happens no matter what the weight. Any advice on how to overcome this biomechanical hinderance? Since my right shoulder seems fine I thought it might simply be a flexiblity issue. Any suggestions on how to proceed...should I just stop being a pussy and work through it knowing it's screwing up my shoulder or what?

Sorry for the lengthy question/rant!

Thanks,

Richard

You probably need to get it looked at. There is something wrong with it if all the other stuff hasn't worked.

If one cannot press without impingement issues, what would be the best choice of action to maintain posterior/anterior balance of the shoulders?

If there is nothing wrong with your shoulder, you can press with without impingement if you do it correctly.

Yes, I think I should get it checked. I have been stretching my shoulders a lot and I think I'm just really tight all through my shoulders. I think I'll go to my chiropractor first, see what he says...last time I was there (a year ago) he said my upper back was pretty rigid and my ribs, where they connect to the sternum, where taking up the lack of movement in my spine, causing my chest to crack and pop. Anyway, here's a video of my OH Press...any glaring problems (I know the angle kinda sucks)?

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkmZ5Q7m-U8

I don't see anything wrong with your press form at all. It's better than mine. Whatever pain you're having doesn't seem to be affecting your form. I'd say keep training through it and if it gets worse get it looked at.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the comments!