starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not missing reps yet but workouts getting mind-numbingly hard...

Default Not missing reps yet but workouts getting mind-numbingly hard...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I've been on SS for a while now and I am finding it extremely difficult to make it from workout to workout, specifically in the squat. My squat is currently at 260x5x3 and it took every ounce of mental and physical energy to get all the reps. My form isn't going south too badly considering the perceived difficulty but some reps aren't too pretty either. I have already introduced the light squat day and it has helped but not that much. I feel like just thinking about having to hit 265x5x3 next Monday is a workout in and of itself.

Am I just being a pussy or should I start winding down my linear progression by doing 3x3 in the squat till I stall? No other lifts are giving me grief right now, just the squat really. By the way right now I weigh 180 at 6ft. Need to be heavier but I am steadily increasing my weight and eating a ton right now.

It's meant to be hard. Hard is good, it means you're getting stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by manis5 View Post
    So I've been on SS for a while now and I am finding it extremely difficult to make it from workout to workout, specifically in the squat. My squat is currently at 260x5x3 and it took every ounce of mental and physical energy to get all the reps. My form isn't going south too badly considering the perceived difficulty but some reps aren't too pretty either. I have already introduced the light squat day and it has helped but not that much. I feel like just thinking about having to hit 265x5x3 next Monday is a workout in and of itself.

Am I just being a pussy or should I start winding down my linear progression by doing 3x3 in the squat till I stall? No other lifts are giving me grief right now, just the squat really. By the way right now I weigh 180 at 6ft. Need to be heavier but I am steadily increasing my weight and eating a ton right now.
    You can choose either a) 5x1 top set, 5x2 back-off OR b) 3x3 for the heavy squat sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    You can choose either a) 5x1 top set, 5x2 back-off OR b) 3x3 for the heavy squat sessions.
    3*3 didn't help me much, I wish I'd done the back off sets. But I got over 300 by fore then, and I'm a pussy. Manis, have you got the other stuff nailed down? Food, sleep, consistency? Taking creatine yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    3*3 didn't help me much, I wish I'd done the back off sets. But I got over 300 by fore then, and I'm a pussy. Manis, have you got the other stuff nailed down? Food, sleep, consistency? Taking creatine yet?
    I've been pretty dialed in lately as far as food/sleep etc..it's more of just a mental strain at this point. My work sets on the squat just feel brutal. I feel like I have to really psyche up before each set and it leaves me completely drained both mentally and physically. I mean I know it's suppose to be hard but as I said in the title it's starting to be almost mind numbing lol. After the sets are done I feel like I've been through hell and back.

It's always going to be hard. You are just going to get stronger.

Don't change anything until you start missing reps.

is 5x3 = 5 sets of 3, or 3 sets of 5?

If you've already done this, disregard. But you can try 5 sets of 3 to get a few more weeks out of it. Granted, it will make the sessions longer, so you could also split the days up if that helps, too.

Eating more might help, by the time I was at 260lbs for work sets I was weighting 185 lbs.

But I'm 5'7".

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    is 5x3 = 5 sets of 3, or 3 sets of 5?

If you've already done this, disregard. But you can try 5 sets of 3 to get a few more weeks out of it. Granted, it will make the sessions longer, so you could also split the days up if that helps, too.
    By 5x3 I mean 3 sets of 5. I think if I decide to change the progression I will use the back off set method.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Eating more might help, by the time I was at 260lbs for work sets I was weighting 185 lbs.

But I'm 5'7".
    I agree, I'm definitely eating as hard as I am training right now but I can only gain so fast. It's like the weight on the bar is moving too fast for my bodyweight to catch up.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been thinking about this all day. Someone should dig up Paul Horn's quote--the Legend says it better than I do.

Look, your psyche will adapt like your muscles do. The sets of 5 are hard, yes. But you are one tough futhermucker, and you are getting tougher, and you are going to get through that 5. For the minute that you are under the bar, you are Chuck Norris. This is a skill you can learn and get better at.

So, I guess I don't want you to change programming simply because it's hard. I want you to get better at doing hard things. When you legitimately miss reps, then it's time to change programming.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast