starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Trains Early?

Default Who Trains Early?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just wanted to start a discussion and see who all trains in the wee hours of the morning.
    Due to my work schedule, about 4-5 workouts a month I wake up at 3am to train. As long as I get 400mg of caffeine and sometimes a piece of fruit in me I am ok, but I'm still on LP.
    Anybody else?

Mike

You have me beat.

Up at 4:45, gym opens at 5:30. Big challenge is that you are supposed to get a pre workout meal, but I usually end up doing it fasting. I'm sure that'll come to bite me in the ∆$$ at some point, but it's the only time I can fit a whole NLP workout in - before the kids get up and I need to get them off for school.

Weekdays, I get up at 4AM to have some coffee before getting into the gym promptly at 5AM. Weekends I start at 8AM or, if Sunday, around noon after church. I feel stronger at the later workouts but I accept the tradeoff because, on weekdays, 5AM is the only way I make it to the gym consistently. Consistency is probably the most important thing to observe when training.

Due to my work schedule I am generally in the same boat. I work 12 hr shifts; 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 nights on, 4 nights off. Rinse and repeat. So on days that I train I am up at 3a, drive 40 minutes to work, train from 4:15a to 6a. Same on night shifts. I normally have a shake before leaving the house, then eat a Rice Krispie bar or two on the way in.

On days off I work out around 9:30a.

Forgot to mention we have a gym at work

Happy to know I'm not the only crazy one and that y'all are having success with it too!
    I work 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off then I go to nights and do the same thing. So I may train early M, W, F, then train mid morning M, early W, mid morning Friday.
    When I go to nights it's whenever the heck I can lift. Typically afternoons and evenings.

When my kids are in school I start lifting at 6:30 after they are out the door. When they are not in school I like to start no later then 6:00am. Eating before lifting doesn't work because it leaves me feeling bloated and to lazy to train. It takes a couple of hours for food to digest enough to be useful. The best solution has been to eat well the night before lifting and sticking with water in the morning. I usually drink a 40oz. bottle while I train. Immediately after training I have a protein shake, followed shortly thereafter by a good breakfast. On work days I train at the college gym where I work, on off days in the home gym. It is nice not having to account for commute time to a gym.

I have tried training right before lunch as well as in the evening. There may be a slight difference but it is so small that it doesn't really matter. It comes down to when I have time and mornings are it. Outside of mornings there is no way that I can be consistent which is the number one thing that needs to be done in order to drive progress.

The only way I can reliably get my work in is to do it first thing in the morning, which for me is hitting the gym by 5:30-5:45. I'll eat a packet of instant oatmeal and a glass of water with creatine and BCAAs before heading out the door. Sometimes it takes a little bit to loosen up and squat properly but I haven't experienced much more downside than that. It's nice getting the hard stuff done early on in the day.

I wake at 5:45 on average. Have a protein powder and dry oatmeal shake. Pound some coffee and am doing warmup sets by 6:30. My gym is at my family business which is quite convienent.

starting strength coach development program
    I feel like a ballerina invited to a rugby match, but here it is: I wake at 6am, and by 6.30 I am generally starting the warm-up. I train on my terrace, so travel time is zero. I clearly don't eat anything before training, although I drink a couple of glasses of water (more in warmer months).
    Been doing this for four years now, since getting my own platform and rack.

IPB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast