starting strength gym

Thread: How I have almost completely eliminated knee arthritis symptoms

Default How I have almost completely eliminated knee arthritis symptoms

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I will be 70 at the end of this month. About 2 years ago, knee pain caused me to consult with an Orthopedist, who diagnosed osteoarthritis. He recommended hyaluronic gel injections which I did not do. He also advised that I would probably need knee replacement surgery at some point. After some research down the internet rabbit hole, I devised a routine that has substantially reduced pain and mobility problems with my knees.
    1. I continue to do weighted squats once per week, usually 2 sets of 5
    2. Every morning before getting out of bed I assume the yoga child's pose and hold it for about a minute.
    3. While my coffee is brewing I do an Asian peasant squat; basically squatting down hams to calves and holding for a minute then raising up hips first.
    I think there is something about this routine (strength plus full joint ROM) that replenishes synovial fluid. This also helps with any lower back problems. Of course this is just my personal experience and there may be no scientific basis for it, but maybe because no researchers have studied it.

Happy Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    I will be 70 at the end of this month. About 2 years ago, knee pain caused me to consult with an Orthopedist, who diagnosed osteoarthritis. He recommended hyaluronic gel injections which I did not do. He also advised that I would probably need knee replacement surgery at some point. After some research down the internet rabbit hole, I devised a routine that has substantially reduced pain and mobility problems with my knees.
    1. I continue to do weighted squats once per week, usually 2 sets of 5
    2. Every morning before getting out of bed I assume the yoga child's pose and hold it for about a minute.
    3. While my coffee is brewing I do an Asian peasant squat; basically squatting down hams to calves and holding for a minute then raising up hips first.
    I think there is something about this routine (strength plus full joint ROM) that replenishes synovial fluid. This also helps with any lower back problems. Of course this is just my personal experience and there may be no scientific basis for it, but maybe because no researchers have studied it.
    glad to hear it; good on you

it just comes down to use it or lose it

nothing wrong with impromptu yoga + squats

i bet there's a ton of 40-50 y.o. people that can't get into a unloaded full squat (i.e. "Asian peasant squat"; aka ATG)

The Asian peasant squat may be the road back for sitting in seiza for me. My right knee hasn't let me settle hams to calves for over 5 years now and I have to open classes with a standing bow.

Very impressive Dave. Love the way you researched and experimented and came up with a method to improve your condition. And constantly worked your strategy.
    Because i am constantly nosy about how oldies are training, would you mind outlining your weight training routine and anything else interesting you are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by 76now View Post
    Very impressive Dave. Love the way you researched and experimented and came up with a method to improve your condition. And constantly worked your strategy.
    Because i am constantly nosy about how oldies are training, would you mind outlining your weight training routine and anything else interesting you are doing?
    Basically 2 days a week
    1. Squat, Press, lat pulldown
    2. Bench Press, Deadlift
    Usually I rotate work sets from week to week between 5 reps x 2 sets to 3x3. I am not following a formal training program trying to continually increase weights, but will occasionally try to add a couple of pounds. Mostly trying to maintain.
    I also try to hit the treadmill twice a week for about 20 minutes, varying incline from 2 to 10 percent. In the Spring I will probably substitute swimming.
    On Sunday morning I go for a bike ride usually 20-25 miles.

Motion is lotion; movement is medicine.

Thanks for your program Dave.
    I can see nothing in it that needs alteration or improvement.
    Myself, i have introduced periodic light phases, just to break up long periods of heavy weight body battering.
    i think the body and mind benefit from an off season ease up that sets you up for a push into new territory.

My own knee pain has significantly lessened after taking up front squats. I also power clean, power snatch, rack jerk, power clean and jerk, and jump rope. All of those things seem to either help or at least not hurt. Except jumping rope, that's probably pretty dumb. Anyway, my knees hurt before I started all that, and now they hurt less.

Managing recovery is likely crucial in all this. Fortunately, my fundamental laziness gives me an edge.

starting strength coach development program
    Happy almost Birthday. Good to hear that you can safely work out.

Not sure if sharing my knee pain experience will help but here it is: I had to stop squats and DL's on ortho doc's orders in June. He said that eventually I may need a knee replacement. Have had meniscus repairs on both knees in the past ten years, but the right knee was starting to hurt. I have arthritis, but excuse the broad term because I am not sure what specific type it is. Had three injections of Euflexxa in Sept. After a few weeks no pain. Started my SS mobile app training program about a month ago and was very careful about loading beyond warmup weight for the first few sessions. Lately have built up to almost pre-stopage levels with no discomfort in knees and as reported in the recovery section, actually found that sciatic pain on left side was cured with low bar back squats and DL's. I have no idea of the anatomical/medical reasons for the relief from sciatic pain, but it works for me. On squats, Doc does not want knees in front of toes, which even in parallel position, below which I try not to exceed, I keep my knees behind the toes. It takes concentration for me to maintain form. I find that concentrating on raising my butt from the bottom of the squat helps me keep my shins close to perpendicular to the floor. Again, not sure of the mechanics of this, but I have been free of any knee pain or discomfort since resuming training. The benefits of weight training for me outweigh the risks and if knee pain resumes I have to adapt or stop.