starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strong guys that don't row: how much can you row?

manisstrong Guest

Default Strong guys that don't row: how much can you row?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So I've been told that your bench and row should be roughly similar, otherwise if your bench is much stronger you have imbalances that can cause injuries etc.

Anyway, I'm wondering for blokes in here that have achieved something with their strength, let's say 2/3/4 plate bench/squat/deadlift for reps, and don't row as part of their routine, how much can you row? Try it out for me? lol

I'm just wondering do squats, bench, deadlifts, press, chins, cleans alone give you strong rowing strength so that it's about equal to your bench? Or not.

Just something I'm curious about.

Thanks

~80kgx5 for a strict bent over row. My bench sucks BTW.

manisstrong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    ~80kgx5 for a strict bent over row. My bench sucks BTW.
    Well the point is comparing your bench and row, so witholding that information is kind of besides the point lol.

I'm not strong and my bench = barbell row at 215lbs x 5

manisstrong Guest

Ok, but did you actually train your row?

The question was mostly for people who didn't train their row...

I used to when I didn't know any better. But then I dropped it about a year ago after injury and then have only been doing the SS lifts since then. Don't know if that counts.

CalisTK Guest

I'm a weightlifter and don't bench or row, but I can give you the raw numbers of a few powerlifters I train with.

190kg bench doesn't normally train rows but did a 180kg very sloppy bodybuilding style row for a few reps. Strict row would be way below 190.

210kg bench, trains rows sloppy bb style, does 220kg for a few reps. Wouldn't be able to row 210 strictly even though he does the bb style ones

170kg bench, 140kg strict row.

Several others with big benches that I don't know exact numbers for, but very few of whom can row their bench.

However I do see a lot more guys in the sub 300lb bench range who can row numbers equivalent to their benches.

In short most strong guys can't row their bench. To some extent that's because the bench, being a competitive exercise is given more attention. However it's not something to worry about, your shoulders don't fall appart if you bench more than you row.

I never understood the whole "you have to row as much as you bench, because it is the opposite move"-argument. When you are able to do 10 pullups with bodyweight, should you be able to do the same with overhead press.
    How about squats: the opposite move would be attaching your feet to the ground and squatten down with a lat pulldown bar in your neck.
    Reverse deadlifts? Locked feet pressdowns.
    Reverse dips? Upright rows.
    Reverse powercleans? hmm...

Makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fox View Post
    I never understood the whole "you have to row as much as you bench, because it is the opposite move"-argument. When you are able to do 10 pullups with bodyweight, should you be able to do the same with overhead press.
    How about squats: the opposite move would be attaching your feet to the ground and squatten down with a lat pulldown bar in your neck.
    Reverse deadlifts? Locked feet pressdowns.
    Reverse dips? Upright rows.
    Reverse powercleans? hmm...

Makes no sense to me.
    I'm not a expert, but think the idea is not to simulate opposite-movement pattern, but to have adequate muscle/strength balance.

starting strength coach development program
    How can you know how much you row if you do not row?

So far i have done 127.5 kg bench and 105 kg barbell row 5 reps.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast