starting strength gym

Thread: Deloading Dilemma

Default Deloading Dilemma

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear SSC's,

I am currently running a typical 4 day split consisting of one main lift followed by a lighter variation and some accessory work at the end.

Each week, I alternate between sets of 8, 5 and 2.

These past 2-3 weeks have proven increasingly strenuous, and I have regressed somewhat. What should I do?

Thank you.

If each week you are alternating between sets of 8, 5, and 2 then you are running an intermediate level program, making weekly progress, an usually that means that at some point you'll need a short period of deload/recovery. Because I don't know your weights, nor do I have video I cannot confirm or deny if you actually need a deload, so I'm just talking in theory.

In a typical deload, I reduce the intensity a little bit (80% of what you have been working with), reduce the frequency by 1/3 (squat twice instead of 3 times), and reduce volume by about 50%. Volume is the easiest thing to manipulate for loading/deloading schemes and seems to be the thing that beats people up the most.

But I also don't know if you are doing 1 working set or 10, so again, the question is pretty vague.

What do you need to know?

I would need to know training history, what weights you are using, age, bodyweight, etc. etc.

As you wish.

I'm 19 years old, and officially weigh 120kg. For what can only be described as too long, I ran SS. The ensuing desparation made me turn to Andy's programming services. Here are my numbers on the main lifts across different rep ranges.

Bench: 182x3x8 / 192.5x3x5 / 210x3x2
    Squat: 315x3x8 / 355x5 + 320x2x5 / I did 385 for a single
    Press: 137.5x3x8 / 150x3x5 / 162.5x3x2
    Deadlift: 315x8 + 305x2x5 / 345x5 + 315x2x5 / 365x2 + 345x2x2

In fact, for the most part my lifts are progressing, albeit at a snail's pace. However, about 3 weeks ago, I was stricken by "impatience and greed". I attempted to increase my 8RM deadlift by 10 lbs, and could only perform about 5 reps, which I supplemented with an additional 3. Regrettably, the same was true of my back off sets. It bears mentioning I also failed a set of squats earlier that week.

The following week, I started doing 8 rep squats. That Friday, I was meant to pull 345x5, but the warm-up sets felt unusually slow, so I quit. Later that evening, I came back and succeeded. Alas, the feeling of weakness persisted.

Last week, I intended to squat 360x5. Unfortunately, I felt weak once more. Warming up, the bar felt heavy on my back. I barely managed three shallow reps at my work weight, and was not keen on missing, so I left, omitting the back off sets and accessory work. I came back the next day, and in addition to the above, did one rep at 360, in an attempt to make up for the previous day's failure. I missed the next one.

I rested one day, and although I had pressed 3x2 with just 2.5 lbs less, I could not get 165 off my shoulders. Needless to say the warm-up felt hard. I did not come back, nor did I bother trying to pull heavy doubles the next day.

Last week, I had planned to do 385 for doubles. I may have been too ambitious, and it did not go as planned. Just a few days ago, I reattempted to deadlift 325x8, and the 5 reps I dared pull felt somehow worse than the previous cycle's.

This week, I decided to begin a new cycle all together, starting with sets of 8. Two days in, I feel alright, and would be surprised if I could not deadlift 315x8, on Friday.

There you go. Frankly, I'm not sure what to make of it.

So you pay Andy for his programming? Since I would consider Andy one of the foremost coaches in regards to programming I would let him answer this question, if he is your coach.

- Don't mean to be rude, but I've worked with Andy for 5 years and I trust him completely.

Matt

starting strength coach development program
    We are no longer working together.