starting strength gym

Thread: Powerlifting after aortic valve replacement surgery

Default Powerlifting after aortic valve replacement surgery

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

I just underwent open-heart surgery on Thursday after having congenital aortic stenosis. I went with a mechanical replacement valve. Well after surgery, the doctor told me that I would have to limit my weight lifting significantly. This was a big problem, since I am a typical stubborn kid and a powerlifter. Strength training is what I live for and I'm not willing to give it up.

My question is, since I lifted fine with the stenosis (I had surgery pre-emptively and was asymptomatic), Do you know how big of a danger if any am I putting myself in? I know I'll have to wait months until my chest is healed, but I can't find any answers from doctors, because they don't know anything about training and speak in absolutes (I was told lifting 50lbs for more reps would get me just as strong as 300 for a few, it would just take more time...)

Any help is appreciated; I'm hoping someone here may have a similar experience or knowledge on the subject. Thanks

Yeah, doctors are geniuses about the nature of adaptation to exercise stress, aren't they? As far as the specifics of your situation are concerned,

1.) What specific bad thing is supposed to happen when you lift heavy, i.e. increase intraventricular pressure on the valve, and

2.) What is the valve material? Is it prone to failure or clot aggregation? I assume not, or they wouldn't have used it. But it might be useful to know the specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, doctors are geniuses about the nature of adaptation to exercise stress, aren't they? As far as the specifics of your situation are concerned,

1.) What specific bad thing is supposed to happen when you lift heavy, i.e. increase intraventricular pressure on the valve, and

2.) What is the valve material? Is it prone to failure or clot aggregation? I assume not, or they wouldn't have used it. But it might be useful to know the specifics.
    1.) The apparent bad thing that is supposed to happen is, yes, increased pressure, which by their reasoning would cause my heart to practically explode where my new valve is apparently.

2.) The valve is made of titanium. It is not prone to failure and should last my entire lifetime; however, it is prone to clot aggregation, so I am on Coumadin, which is an anticoagulant, but the doctors said that it shouldn't be a problem in relation to weight lifting.

If the valve is artificial and won't incorporate into your tissue, there might well be pressure problems. The coumadin will handle the clotting situation, but the pressure situation is out of my bailiwick. I have had no experience training people with this particular device. Maybe someone will help us out.

Damn, I hope someone has come across this before and has some input. I have to lift heavy