starting strength gym

Thread: Knee discomfort (no pain)

Default Knee discomfort (no pain)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach Rip,

First of all, thanks for SS, practical programming, and your program in general. I've gone from 6'2" 163 to 195 and the strength to go with it, you're the man!

Dispensing with the pleansantries...After my deadlift set last week I had this swollen feeling in my knee. Almost feels like a golf ball is towards the back of my knee although there is no visible swelling and no pain in my knee. I have full range of motion and am able to successfully complete my squats and deadlift. I have noticed a tendency to "favor" my knee when I'm walking and any prolonged standing or walking seems to amplify the "swollen" feeling. That same knee also "clicks" (sounds like when your pop your knuckles) when I squat down. Again, no pain but it ALWAYS happens; this effect has been amplified since my "injury" (discomfort might be more accurate).

My only previous knee injury was when I suffered from knee bursitis during some military training a year and a half ago (all the kneeling, prone, with crap on my back). Nothing huge, I just nursed it for about 2 months and I was good to go.

My google-fu and common sense tells me it's no big deal as I am able to train. However, I am curious if it is something that might become a problem later. Thanks again Rip!

P.S. Hopefully I'll be seeing you at your cert in Ramona, CA next month!

Search this board for "meniscus". I'll bet you have a small tear.

It could also be a Baker's cyst

Touche sir...the old injury definitely seems more in line with a slight meniscus tear as opposed to bursitis (perhaps a bit of both) considering how it's been lingering around.

Well I feel better knowing what is actually is now; Still hesitant to see a doc, surgery would certainly but a damper on the next coming months.

Moral of the story, I can still lift as long as I'm smart and safe about it; however, I'll continue to do my research. Running definitely aggravates my knee and the next couples schools are gonna have me do a lot of running/rucking.....but that's a whole 'nother issue. Thanks again Rip, really.

P.S. Any other service bubbas with some advice for the knee, ways you dealt with it during extended courses?

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    It could also be a Baker's cyst
    It could also be cancer. But it's probably a meniscus tear. It will be fine without surgery.