starting strength gym

Thread: Injury rehab question.

Smile Injury rehab question.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, coach!
    Well, as you see, I haven't quit training, and didn't let shitty events stop me. I owe you a lot, you may not remember, but your help and the help from several people here meant a lot to me.
    But something happened yesterday, which fucked me up.
    It involved a kayaking accident, and my left calf muscle and my right upper arm feel VERY painful.
    So, I read the sticky, and I know what to do, but I have some questions:

1) Do I keep doing GOMAD during the 2 weeks rehab? Or do I cut it by half or off completely?

2) Do I keep doing the whole SS? I'm doing the regular SS plus chins and back extensions at the moment. How would the rehab program look?

3) How many times a day do you recommend ice?

4)Do you think my strength will suffer considerably? This worries me a lot.

I re-injured my arm this time, as I injured it an year or so ago, and it never healed completely. The physiotherapist told me to let it rest for two months and don't make any efforts that time, but I don't know why it didn't convince me, so I just reduced my poundages (I was on a bodybuilder split, hey, we all make mistakes!) and kept the same reps.

It healed better than the doctor expected, and then I read your board, and saw that I wasn't THAT far off a good recovery method.
    I'll take this opportunity (yes, I'm looking at the half-full glass) to make the arm heal once and for all, because it was starting to hurt during heavy squats and presses.

Thanks for making this info available to us mere mortals, coach, and cheerio.

1. Stop the GOMAD during the rehab. It is for gaining weight, not healing up an injured area. Cut down to about 1/2 gallon.

2. Depends on the injury. It might just be contused, which will heal much faster than a belly rupture and won't need a lot of rehab beyond a good warmup.

3. 20 on/20 off as much as you have time for. You can do the math.

4. Your strength will not suffer much. Minor setbacks do nothing to affect long-term progress, and they make you appreciate your healthy periods more.

Smile

Thanks, coach!
    Well, today I squatted and benched. (3x25, empty bar)
    I was feeling a rather fiery burn, but no pain whatsoever, during the squats or the bench.

Since it hurt for a year before, I don't get it.
    It doesn't even bother me at all after 3 days... (ice and ibuprofen were used).
    Anyway, the moment I hurt my arm, I couldn't move it for like 10 minutes, it felt as if something were out of place, but since I got no bruises it seemed that it couldn't be a dislocation, so I assumed it was a muscle tear.
    I'm confused, what do you recommend? Go through with the full two-week rehab or try and go heavy now?

P.S: Is it normal to gain 40 pounds in 3 months of SS? I went from 150 to 190.
    I didn't even get a gut, and I'm on about 3,500 kcal a day.

So you want to rehab something that doesn't hurt? I am the confused one.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So you want to rehab something that doesn't hurt? I am the confused one.
    No, my mistake!
    I mean it doesn't hurt much.
    There are like little "surges" of pain, between my triceps and my biceps (it's like a spot that hurts, not the whole arm) when I put the bar on my posterior delts, for example, or sometimes when I bench. (today, it hurt a bit after the 22 nd rep of the third set)
    Since it hurt for like a whole year before, I'm trying to heal it, so the arm won't be prone to more injuries. (when I hurt it, there was a loud snap, searing pain, and I thought I had broken it, because I couldn't lift it, it felt out of place. I had to swim back to the shore one-armed, it was horrible)
    The thing is, it's hurting less and less, so even if it's a minor injury your method works.