starting strength gym

Thread: Programming Question

Default Programming Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi coach,

I thought i would ask this question about programming.

The trigger that we use to switch to an intermediate training program is the inability to consistently increase the weight workout to workout. Instead we must(considering diet and sleep are fine):
    1) Increase the volume to cause an adaptation.
    2) Allow greater recovery.

The texas method that you recommend in your book works on a weekly schedule - there is nothing special about the 7 day period, only that its convenient to use. It has a volume day, recovery and intensity day. My understanding of this method is that the recovery day helps repair the muscles and also keeps the neuromusclar efficiency intact. This indicates to me your muscles require longer recovery and 4 days between weight lifting is too long to cause an efficient adapation without it.

Now if my understanding of programming is correct, we can use a different model when we reach the intermediate level so that we can make progress twice a week instead of once in the texas method. This is similar to the training pattern as in your novice program. We do this by:
    1) Increasing the volume by 1 set on each exercise.
    2) Train every 3rd day.

We can continue to do this until the volume that we are lifting exceeds the capacity of the body to recover in the 3 day period then we can switch to something like texas.

I see no question here, but rather, a series of statements that amount to an observation.

I am aware of that. My question is: Have i applied the prinicples correctly and in your opinion, is the theory sound enough to work?

It seems sound. Try it and see.

Hi Coach,

Thanks. I have made some adjustments to my training which seem to be working. All I have done is reduce the amount of training from once every 2 days to once every 3 days.

It seems to be working, i think i will continue to ride this and see how long it lasts.

Thanks