starting strength gym

Thread: Signed up for my first powerlifting meet

Default Signed up for my first powerlifting meet

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Any words of wisdom that anyone would like to bestow upon me? I'm very impressionable.

And Rip, if you want to send me a WFAC t-shirt, I will proudly wear it under my singlet. But only if I can tell people that Mark Rippetoe is my sponsor.

If I sent it to you free, then I would in fact be a sponsor. Just think of all the money that will make me!!!

My advice is to open conservatively, go 9 for 9, try to PR all the lifts, and learn about the process without worrying about your placing. This first time.

1) Definately go with weights you know you can get on your openers to build some confidence and get the jitters out.

2) Learn the rules for each lift before you go to the meet and start incorporating them into your training. There will most likely be commands to "squat", "press", "rack", etc. If you have a competent training partner, then have them give you these commands in the weeks leading up to the meet. Make sure you know the rules for YOUR organization, cuz they can vary a little bit depending on who you are lifting with.

3) If you squat in a cage all the time, start doing some workouts out of stands, and if you bench touch and go, start doing some paused reps too.

4) Depending on how well/poorly the meet is run, be prepared to wait around a little longer between lifts than you do in the gym. In the last meet I did back in January, they told us to start warming up for the squat at 10 a.m. and it was almost 11 before first lifter did his first squat attempt. We were all going back to the warm up room every 8-10 minutes and doing singles or doubles just to keep from getting cold. Sometimes shit like that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If I sent it to you free, then I would in fact be a sponsor. Just think of all the money that will make me!!!

My advice is to open conservatively, go 9 for 9, try to PR all the lifts, and learn about the process without worrying about your placing. This first time.
    This echos much of the advice I've heard from other pl veterans. I plan to open with my 5RM, then 3RM, then 1RM/PR (depending on how things go). I guess I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but getting 9/9 in itself would be a major accomplishment for my first meet, even if I score low.

BTW, I'll be lifting RAW in the 181 weight class.

I'll be sure to post the results here and pics/video of me gettin' diesel in my WFAC shirt. I appreciate the sponsorship, Rip! I'm not kidding when I say I will wear it proudly.