starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starrett/Squat question

Default Starrett/Squat question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

My hips feel tight so I've been looking for ways to get better depth on my squats.

Kelly Starrett mentions in one of his many videos the need to think about improving the passive accessory motion of my hip joint.

Doing so will allow me to open up my hip into an optimal position and allow me to create external rotation torque with toes forward and knees not in while maintaining an active arch in my foot with an organized, vertical spine. I don't want to blow off torque squatting with my toes out anymore. I'm setting myself up for a valgus knee fault because you can't create as much torque at the knees to protect against collapse. Opening my hips by gaining the passive accessory motion I'm missing should help, right?

I don't exactly understand his terminology though....Could you help me understand?

Thanks

...only used the word torque three times....

That seems like a lot of stuff to think about when you have a heavy ass weight on your back. :-) Have you tried just pointing your toes out and little bit and then pushing your knees out as you sit into the squat on the bottom? Do you have a form vid, because it could be something else you are doing. For instance, if you have a lot of knee slide and really push them too far forward, you might feel like you are in the bottom of the squat, but really you are high.

I'm surprised not to see this fine article recommended: from the illustrious Dr. Been.

You can never exactly understand what he's talking about anyway.

Just try it out... squat with your feet 30 degrees out, then with your feet straight ahead and check where it's easier for you to push your knees out. My money is on 30 degrees.

Is this a serious thread? I can't tell.
    How do you open your hip, what is an external rotation torque and why do you want your toes forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks Rip. So basically I just need to eat more.

So - if I'm reading this right - arrange the bottom of the foot & hip to maximize torsion in the ligaments in the knee?

You first.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GudeMN View Post
    Thanks Rip. So basically I just need to eat more.
    Gallon of Milk a Day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast