starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychology of Losing Weight

Default Psychology of Losing Weight

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip, and anyone else who wants to chime in, I was just wondering if you ever had to deal with overcoming the mental aspect of losing weight for a meet or just to get BF levels sub 20%?

The reason I'm asking is because I went a bit too far with my bulk on SS and got myself up to a fluffy 227 lbs at 5'9". I'm down to 213 lbs now but I find it difficult to convince myself that my strength gains will still be there once I cut down to about 195-200. I've been running TM for awhile now and it also concerns me that trying to lose BF now will hinder progress. It feels like a dumb question to ask but I've been struggling with negativity regarding "getting smaller"... Coming from a former scrawny guy, the idea of feeling smaller again doesn't appeal to me but neither does carrying this extra fat I have.

Apologies if this has been asked or mentioned before, I can't seem to find much on this particular subject... A fear of losing weight seems odd so I thought I'd check if you've dealt with this personally or with others?

What is your BF% and what are your lifts? Age?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is your BF% and what are your lifts? Age?
    I won't lie and say I know my BF% but I'm confident it's over 20% and if I were to guess its around 23-24%. The stretch marks and power belly don't lie. I actually met you in person at the Seminar in Seattle about a year ago at my heaviest... But I don't expect you to remember me, although I think I had the biggest and most blonde beard there!

Just turned 30 this past weekend:

Squat: 390x1x3
    Bench: 280x1x3
    Deadlift: 420x1 (395x5 since reset)
    Press: 180x1x3

Losing some bodyfat carefully isn't going to tap in to these lifts very much. You're still a novice, most likely. But if you're afraid, don't do it. I'd rather see you at 250 squatting 650 and pulling 675, belly be damned.

Losing some bodyfat carefully isn't going to tap in to these lifts very much. You're still a novice, most likely. But if you're afraid, don't do it. I'd rather see you at 250 squatting 650 and pulling 675, belly be damned.
    I appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond to people like me for free! I'm currently in the hiring process for a police department so I'll try to lose some body fat slowly, mainly to make that horrendous 1.5 mile run easier!

I hope you're joking about the 1.5 miles.

I believe he is talking about the physical test to become a police officer. Something like a 1.5 run in 15 minutes? Shouldn't be too hard really. That's a 10 minute mile. I'm pretty sure a fat ass like myself could do that without losing any weight at all.

Ha, which part? Losing weight for it? Or it being difficult? My conditioning is much worse than I anticipated, I've run the 2.4km (1.5mi) on the track twice now and I'm around a pathetic 17 minutes. Down from 18 mins the first time, but I need it under 12!

I'm running it Tue/Sat with Texas Method on MWF. My legs have been killing me from running and the DOMS is brutal... Would you suggest I skip light squats on Wed or keep them and wait for adaptation?

I was hoping he was joking about it being hard. This is not something that losing 4% bodyfat will correct. Perhaps you need someone to check your running mechanics.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    I believe he is talking about the physical test to become a police officer. Something like a 1.5 run in 15 minutes? Shouldn't be too hard really. That's a 10 minute mile. I'm pretty sure a fat ass like myself could do that without losing any weight at all.
    Here in Canada we're required to run 2.4km (1.5mi) in under 12 minutes. I'm fairly certain I can get close to it after a few more weeks of training and adaptation... but I really don't enjoy running... "I like to pick things up and put them down!"

I was hoping he was joking about it being hard. This is not something that losing 4% bodyfat will correct. Perhaps you need someone to check your running mechanics.
    That may be a good idea as I don't think the amount of pain I felt was normal, I'm positive I'm a shitty runner and especially for anything over 400 meters. I was a sprinter, triple jump, and long jumper in track back in the day; I never liked anything over 400 meters even then!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast