starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lateral hip shift when squatting. Possibly leg length discrepancy?

Default Lateral hip shift when squatting. Possibly leg length discrepancy?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Mark, first of all, I'd like to thank you for the great work you're doing. You are a big inspiration for me and you convinced me to start lifting weights.

However, I have big problems with the squat, so big that I've been stuck for over a month trying to correct it without any success. I live in Europe so it's not possible for me to attend any seminaries for live coaching, so I'm making this thread instead. Hope that's OK.

I've been training for almost two months now and the squat has been a real struggle. I started the squat at a low weight, 40kg, and increased the weight by 2.5kg each workout until I reached 67.5kg. This is where I had to stop increase the weight because I noticed flaws in my form. I have a video and a picture included to demonstrate the flaws.

Two flaws I've identified:

*When I'm in the hole, my left knee is higher than my right knee. One of my shoulder looks rotated and messing up with the bar alignment. Picture for demonstration: asymmetry - Album on Imgur
    *When I start to ascend, my body puts the weight on my right leg and throwing my hips laterally to the right.

I'm really trying to push my left knee out as hard as I can but I still end up with a corkscrew motion. That is some bad asymmetry and I look like a spaghetti straw when I'm squatting. I increase the deadlift each workout still, and both presses on a weekly basis. But not being able to squat properly is really hindering my progress and it feels like I'm missing out on all the benefits a properly executed squat should provide.

Here's a few things I suspect is causing the problem:

*Leg Length Discrepancy (LLD) / tilted pelvis (Thanks for a good article btw).
    *Bad mobility in hip rotators or overall tightness in the body.
    *Scoliosis -> badly aligned shoulders.
    *Problems with ankles.

I bought proper weightlifting shoes but it didn't help with the hip shift. I'm extremely motivated and I have clear lifting goals for 2017. My other lifts are increasing and I'm gaining weight. But it's very disheartening to struggle with the squat at such a measly weight. I'm becoming desperate for a solution and any input is much, much appreciated.

Links:
    Bad asymmetry (pic) asymmetry - Album on Imgur
    Work set with form breaking down: Hip shift - YouTube -- (I stopped after 3 reps because of the form breaking down.)

What is your question?

I wonder why my left knee appears higher than my right knee when I'm in the bottom position. From what I can tell this makes my hip/ass shift to the right when I drive up. What is causing this and how do I go about fixing this big issue?

Can't tell from only one video angle. Have you thought about some coaching?

Yes, I've tried to find a coach for some live coaching, but it's difficult to find a competent one around here. I found a 'strength instructor' and explained that I was doing barbell only and ended up booking a session. She told me I shouldn't deadlift because it was too difficult for beginners and she watched me squat and gave me no input/help at all. She wanted me to do some stupid bodyweight exercises on a yoga-ball etc. $75.

A SS coach would be my best help for sure, but I cannot afford one right now to be honest, but if I still struggle in the future (and have more money) I will seriously consider it.

I don't wanna be annoying but I added a new video with frontal view. I'm really concerned about this asymmetry and would like your advice. I have contacted a chiropractor (luckily my work pays for two sessions).

Have you thought about reading these boards and looking at all the other videos that have been posted about this problem?

Yes, I've read threads on this board and other forums where people experience similar issues. It is not the most common squat problem and there seems to be a lot of different things that can cause a hip shift.

Possible causes I've read about: Bad form (not pushing knees out), tight hip, leg length discrepancy, imbalanced body, strength imbalances (caused by anatomic asymmetry?), old injuries (i.e. torn ankle ligament), pronated/supinated feet, bad shoes, faulty movement pattern, too much weight, too narrow/wide stance.

Found a picture that perfectly demonstrates an imbalanced body: postural-alignment.jpg. I think my body looks similar to that. It would explain why one of my shoulders has always been higher than the other. Body imbalance: hip tilt -> shoulder raises -> knee caves -> bad squats.

Sorry for spamming.

starting strength coach development program
    You have posted a picture of a guy not standing up straight next to a guy standing up straight. I'd advise you to emulate the posture on the right. But we can't tell you about this asymmetry based on two bad video angles. Maybe your chiropractor can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast