starting strength gym

Thread: squat form question

Default squat form question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been doing the SS program for about 4 weeks now. I video taped myself doing squats for the first time the other day (should have done it in the beginning) and noticed that I am doing the same thing everyone else does with their knees at the bottom. During my next workout I concentrated on pushing my knees out at the bottom like you have instructed others to do. This worked well (go figure), although my knees are still moving slightly as the reps get harder. My hip drive seems to be good, and my quads have never felt like they were carrying too much of the load, but after concentrating on pushing the knees out at the bottom there is a considerable increase on the stress to my adductors (I think)...inner thigh area, anyway. I just wanted to know if this is normal, or an indication that I'm doing something wrong. My knees aren't actually moving out at all...they are just not sliding forward near as much. But there has been a dramatic shift in the stress on my legs and I wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks in advance.

This is exactly what is supposed to happen, as all of the muscles of the posterior chain learn their jobs. The groin muscles have to catch up if they've never been used, and they'll get quite sore while this is happening.