starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Lifting for 17 year old

Default Olympic Lifting for 17 year old

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello everyone,

I have asked the question of whether competitive olympic weightlifting is worth training for at 17 years old on another forum, and I was given a good reality check + encouragement if I decide to persue my targets. I study a sports science course and I hope to go to university to train and study more about exercise physiology, so I am quite passionate about lifting and developing some experience/knowledge.

My question now is where should I begin? I'm 5'7, 145lbs and probably around 10% body fat.

I've yet to read Starting Strength and PPST but I have contemplated doing novice linear progression up until ~200lbs, then stay there until I become farmiliar with the snatch and c&j. After which I can either lose some weight very very slowly or instead, just start training on the lifts now and don't bother with GOMAD or anything like that.

Hopefully I can get some input from Rip or another experienced member.

I like to think that I'm willing to make a lot of sacrifices (i.e. spend my gap year working, lifting and sleeping as a "kick start" to my weightlfiting "career"). I've already attempted to begin novice linear progression but money holds me back and I end up eating/training on and off. By the time I turn 18 in June this shouldn't be a problem.

All advice is appreciated

Default 17 Year Old Olympic Lifting

What do your workouts consist of now and how many days do you train a week?

Jim

I'm in the early novice stages, and haven't worked out consistently. For the last 2 weeks I've been on starting strength, my 3x5 squat went from 60kg to 80kg. Next week I won't be continuing since I don't have the money. Week after next week I could pick up where I left off
    Last edited by aa7; 03-06-2011 at 04:03 PM.

aa7,

I would stick to the starting strength program until you get settled in and can train consistently. Olympic Lifting requires a lot of consistant repitition of doing the lifts over and over.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by aa7 View Post
    I've yet to read Starting Strength and PPST but I have contemplated doing novice linear progression up until ~200lbs, then stay there until I become farmiliar with the snatch and c&j. After which I can either lose some weight very very slowly or instead, just start training on the lifts now and don't bother with GOMAD or anything like that.
    Do starting strength, gain some 50 lbs, get a 1.5-2×BW squat, 2+×BW deadlift, then chose where to go from there. Don't do GOMAD.

Also since you are determined to do oly lifting you should do SS but with high bar squats instead.

I think you every opportunity to get competitive. thats a good age to start.

But I dont think that you necessarily need to do SS right away. It is a fast way to get strong and bulk up, and yes weightlifting is a strength sport. But SS is not olympic weightlifting.

I think you should probably find a good weightlifting club and a coach. Your strength will progress slower and you will put on less bulk training the typical way they do. But learning the technique/body positioning/mobility for the olympic lifts is something you should do sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I think you every opportunity to get competitive. thats a good age to start.

But I dont think that you necessarily need to do SS right away. It is a fast way to get strong and bulk up, and yes weightlifting is a strength sport. But SS is not olympic weightlifting.

I think you should probably find a good weightlifting club and a coach. Your strength will progress slower and you will put on less bulk training the typical way they do. But learning the technique/body positioning/mobility for the olympic lifts is something you should do sooner rather than later.
    Aren't you the guy who presses 40kg after 2 years training? I honestly mean no offense when I say this but maybe you should worry more about your own training.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Aren't you the guy who presses 40kg after 2 years training? I honestly mean no offense when I say this but maybe you should worry more about your own training.
    What the fuck is your problem. You critique Dast for giving his advice but yet you add nothing of your own?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    What the fuck is your problem. You critique Dast for giving his advice but yet you add nothing of your own?
    What could I add when people like Jim Moser, someone who actually lifted some serious fucking weight, are giving advice?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast