starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excited to begin Starting Strength, but weak and overweight

Default Excited to begin Starting Strength, but weak and overweight

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello all,

Briefing: female, 26 yo, out of shape, 170cm/5"6ish, BMI 27. Bad experiences with sports in school. Learned how to run last year, and quickly discovered it was not for me. But I did push myself to do 4k. After that, my legs usually went numb (!).

I recently got bit by the weight lifting bug with no prior experience in the sport.

I am very cerebral, almost a floating head type of a person, so naturally I decided I need to do this right. I have The Book and The DVD. I started SS a week ago -- all proper-like and by the book -- with learning the squat and...

revelation!

I have never been able to even maintain that position before. I never knew what a real squat felt like. And the whole thing just clicked in my head. I am in love with the barbell, heck, I am in love with the human body. Finally, after all these years wishing I could live as a head in a jar, like in Futurama.

All the excitement aside, I do have some beginner problems.

So could you please critique this programme (think of it as starting Starting Strength) which I have devised based on some research (not nearly enough, though) I've done:

Saturday
    A
    3x5 Squat (had to use a broomstick for the warm up sets, then empty bar)
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Monday
    Swimming for 30mins. I know it is detrimental for SS, but I am looking to become generally more fit and able, by which I mean stronger but also leaner (remember, I am overweight, as hard as that is to admit for me). Swimming is also a sport that comes naturally to me, so I enjoy doing it.

Wednesday
    B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press with dumbbells until I can lift an Olympic bar (any advice, good video on this?)
    1x5 Deadlift (until I get bored of it and I have enought strength to use a barbell on the Press, then Power Cleans)

Diet:
    I've never read that many women's mags, so I do know how to eat. Mostly I eat 2000-2300 calories, cleanish, but I do love a Quarter Pounder with a side salad. I have to watch the carbs since there's diabetes in my family.
    Breakfast is usually something with eggs, either bacon and eggs or an omelette, just because I happen to enjoy that kind of food. I'm thinking of getting a blender for making shakes and yoghurt drinks, since those would be nice to have as breakfast during the summer.
    Lunch and dinner are usually meat and veg. I will have to eat more nuts and legumes and stay off the sweets. I don't use sugar in any of my drinks, so that won't be a problem.

General health:
    I seem to have plantar fasciitis. I will have to consult a doctor, but every time I start excercising harder (running, squatting), my plantar fascia pops out and starts hurting. I have massaged it with a bottle before, but I'm worried it will stall my progress when I start lifting with anything heavier than a barbell.

My expectation out of this is that I will make progress more slowly than normally on SS, but I will have less soreness and gain more bodily intelligence and insight into weightlifting before progressing onto heavier weights. Also, as a slightly ADD person, I expect the variety to keep me attentive and interested. Ideally, I am hoping to become stronger and leaner during this year, and to keep lifting weights for the rest of my life.

Any thoughts, advice and ideas on any of these points are welcome! Glad to be here among you lifters!

Program seems reasonable, to me. Are you talking about slow steady swimming, or hard and fast conditioning swimming? The former probably won't effect the lifts for a longer time than the latter.

Diet: be careful with switching from sweets to nuts, as nuts are very calorie dense. They are not a free lunch when it comes to weight loss... It's super-easy to over consume nuts without even thinking about it. I would also say that emphasising lean meats and veggies will probably help you lose some weight (if you don't over indulge, obviously), but expect it to take a while (some people like to do rapid fat loss plans, but I think that adjusting the way you eat and having a sensible exercise plan is more conducive to long-term success).

On the foot problem, do you have weightlifting shoes? I don't have any personal experience with this, but I wonder if the metatarsal strap on lifting shoes wouldn't help with your foot pain. A friend of mine bought the book, "Pain Free," to deal with her foot pain, and she says it works well. You might also want to see if you can do any barefoot walking to try and make your feet stronger (ease into it, if you have no experience with it, though). Just some thoughts, I hope it helps. Good luck, and happy lifting.

Seems pretty reasonable. I'd advise trying to press with a lighter bar rather than dumbbells if at all possible, though. A lot of gyms have short, fixed-weight straight barbells in different denominations that can be used for this purpose. A DB press is pretty different from a BB press.

I'd also recommend working on chinups/pullups somewhere in there. Maybe on Wednesday before your swimming.

You sound like you are taking a great approach to health. You may find after a few weeks that it's best to move the swimming to Friday or after a lifting day, though. I also think brisk walking is a great weight loss tool - screw running. Take a brisk walk before breakfast. I agree with all the above advice, especially about the nuts - they are natural but shouldn't be considered a health food for several reasons.

Thanks, guys! Good to know the theory is correct. Now I just have to do it!

Diet: be careful with switching from sweets to nuts, as nuts are very calorie dense. ... I think that adjusting the way you eat and having a sensible exercise plan is more conducive to long-term success).
    Agreed: I have to keep an eye on my consumption, it is true. I will just try and keep it under control at roughly 2000 cals, which I need to keep me happy. Thing is, the way I've been eating all these years -- with all the nutritious foods and good amounts of protein -- would have been totally justified, had I been using the consumed energy to build strength and fitness. I have not done that, and the result can be seen on my waist. I have to say, I was chubby by the time I was 6, so it's not entirely my fault, but it is time to grow up and take responsibility.

slow steady swimming, or hard and fast conditioning swimming? The former probably won't effect the lifts for a longer time than the latter.
    I do love to swim fast, sort of interval style... But I am willing to take it easy for SS's sake. Make that a 'steady swim, 30 mins'

do you have weightlifting shoes? I don't have any personal experience with this, but I wonder if the metatarsal strap on lifting shoes wouldn't help with your foot pain. A friend of mine bought the book, "Pain Free," to deal with her foot pain, and she says it works well. You might also want to see if you can do any barefoot walking to try and make your feet stronger (ease into it, if you have no experience with it, though).
    I don't, good point! I will invest in some as soon as I grow confident that I really can do this. I have to look into that book, thanks, man!

I'd advise trying to press with a lighter bar rather than dumbbells if at all possible, though. A lot of gyms have short, fixed-weight straight barbells in different denominations that can be used for this purpose. A DB press is pretty different from a BB press
    Good pointers there. However, my gym mainly caters to the male population when it comes to barbells (just the one kind, and broomsticks). I'm worried about correct form, but also too embarrassed to use a curl bar (I realise this is completely silly, but I'm afraid they'll think I don't know what I'm doing, using a curl bar creatively). I will give it further consideration. I love the idea of chinups/pullups, however, I would have to start with just negative ones, as I can't lift my bodyweight up.

You may find after a few weeks that it's best to move the swimming to Friday or after a lifting day, though.
    Sounds interesting, why is that? Btw, I can remember accidentally loosing 5kg of weight one summer by having been forced to walk up and down hills, so yeah, I would agree that walking is great for weightloss. I have to start considering walking. The only thing is, it is maddeningly slow and uneventful for someone like me, but that's nothing an iPod won't fix...

---

I completely forgot that I fell madly in love with kayaking last summer! So there's going to be some of that in the summer instead of swimming. It's steady paced sea kayaking, 2-3 hrs at a time. Hope that's not too harsh on my SS.

I can't believe I used to just sit in my chair like an amoeba. There's so much to do, so much to learn! I'm finding lifting really intellectual, the learning actually helps and makes it really fun for me. Can't wait for Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
    Agreed: I have to keep an eye on my consumption, it is true. I will just try and keep it under control at roughly 2000 cals, which I need to keep me happy. Thing is, the way I've been eating all these years -- with all the nutritious foods and good amounts of protein -- would have been totally justified, had I been using the consumed energy to build strength and fitness. I have not done that, and the result can be seen on my waist. I have to say, I was chubby by the time I was 6, so it's not entirely my fault, but it is time to grow up and take responsibility.
    Are you tracking your diet? It's very easy to think you're generally eating "healthy" and not realize all the little extras you might consume. I know every time I track my diet, it's a real eye opener on what I've let creep in and it helps me keep my macronutrient ratios where I want them.

As far as getting leaner, while diet is the most important part of the equation, heavy lifting will lean you out faster than any cardio.

Are you tracking your diet? It's very easy to think you're generally eating "healthy" and not realize all the little extras you might consume. I know every time I track my diet, it's a real eye opener on what I've let creep in and it helps me keep my macronutrient ratios where I want them.
    It's harsh, isn't it? I have done this on a few occasions. Normally, I am able to maintain a calorie intake of 2000-2300. I might start tracking again.

However, I spent the entire winter working on my thesis. I gained a whopping 5kg in just a few months. I have never gained weight that fast before. I've dropped the comfort food, and am on my way downwards. Slowly, but steadily.

heavy lifting will lean you out faster than any cardio.
    Great to hear! I've really enjoyed lifting so far. There will probably be a period of time in the future where I do 3 times a week at least for while. Looking forward to seeing what kind of results different programmes will yield. Actually, I'm having a hard time keeping myself away from the gym, but I'm afraid of hurting myself by training too hard all of a sudden.
    Last edited by huckleberry; 03-31-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
    ...Good pointers there. However, my gym mainly caters to the male population when it comes to barbells (just the one kind, and broomsticks). I'm worried about correct form, but also too embarrassed to use a curl bar (I realise this is completely silly, but I'm afraid they'll think I don't know what I'm doing, using a curl bar creatively). I will give it further consideration. I love the idea of chinups/pullups, however, I would have to start with just negative ones, as I can't lift my bodyweight up...
    I wouldn't think much about what the chest and bi's crew thinks about your work outs. They'll probably also think that it's silly you "do legs" (whatever that means) every time. I know the body building crew at the gym I go to when I'm in Maryland says the same tired thing every time I start, "You're doing squats again?!" or suggesting that I'm weird because I don't curl...

I also second moving the swimming to after training. I find having a full day off leads to better recovery.

How is your ankle flexibility? WHat kind of shoes do you wear for the most part?

Also, you may want to pick up some adjustable wrist weights for presses if you are using DBs. THat way you can make smaller jumps if need be.
    Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki; 03-31-2011 at 01:13 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I swim frequently for about 20min at a time (750yds). i don't think that it will mess with your SS progress. same for the kayaking. i believe it is best to consider these physical activity and not exercise. same for hiking, pick-up basketball, surfing, bike rides etc.

good luck, sounds like you're off to a good motivated start!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast