starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I over-volumed myself on the press...

Default I think I over-volumed myself on the press...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Andy,

First: male, 51, 200lbs; 4-day split hitting the main lifts once per week, last squats were 3 x 5 x 280, bench was 3,2,2 x 230, DL in low 300's, then my press:

Two weeks ago I did 5 x 5 x 125. Last week I intended to go 3 x 3 x 135, but they felt so good I did 5 x 3 x 135, then a "bonus" set of 3 x 140. It was a PR day of sorts. Today, the plan was to do singles across at 145, or maybe ramp up and finish with a single at 150. Not to be. Barely managed one each at 135 and 140, and ground out a 5 x 125. My question: did doing so many triples just fuck my plan for singles? Should I have kept it at 3 x 3, even though I had so much gas in the tank?

I hope this is a useful example for discussing various aspects of old dude intermediate-type programming.

Thank you!

Tom

Could have been. Main question is did you overtrain or under-recover??

Is there a difference that's more than semantics (in this short of a time-frame anyway)? Either he had too much of a stimulus for the time he had planned for recovery or he didn't give himself enough time to recover from the stimulus he applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Could have been. Main question is did you overtrain or under-recover??
    I think a little of both. And my "heavy" bench (triples, which went 3,2,2) and heavy press singles came on the same week. That probably didn't help, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chaloney View Post
    Is there a difference that's more than semantics (in this short of a time-frame anyway)? Either he had too much of a stimulus for the time he had planned for recovery or he didn't give himself enough time to recover from the stimulus he applied.
    Right Its nuanced but time is not the only recovery factor.

Sleep, nutrition, stress, and other physical activity/exercise/training that occurred in between also play into this. We probably need a few weeks of data to figure it out for certain

Quote Originally Posted by pcknshvl View Post
    I think a little of both. And my "heavy" bench (triples, which went 3,2,2) and heavy press singles came on the same week. That probably didn't help, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Right Its nuanced but time is not the only recovery factor.

Sleep, nutrition, stress, and other physical activity/exercise/training that occurred in between also play into this. We probably need a few weeks of data to figure it out for certain
    Good point. I guess I was unconsciously assuming he had those accounted for. Obviously not necessarily a correct assumption.

I think hard 3x5 squats this week killed me for DL's today as well (remember, I'm the guy who's trying to prioritize power cleans one week, then heavy DL the following week). So I'm thinking something like this, to separate intensity/volume days:

Week A:

Monday---Intensity bench 1's across, 2's, 3's, 5, etc. then LTE's, chins
    Tuesday--Heavy squat--2's, 3's; sled

Thursday: Press 5x5, rows/chins
    Friday: PC, sled

Week B:

Monday: bench 5x5, chins
    Tuesday, 3x5 squat 80-90% of previous week

Thursday: Intensity press 1's across, 2's, 3's, 5; dips, rows/chins
    Friday: DL 1x5, 3, 2 (weekly, increased weight) + b.o sets 1 x 5 @ 70-80% (Tom C suggested this DL programming); sled

Sled drags often end up being 1x per week due to weather or total lack of motivation, especially after a hard squat day.

Any suggestions/tweaks are totally welcome. I think this will work; I just need to stick with it for a few months without tinkering or over-thinking.

Thanks again!

Yep. Give it at least 8-12 weeks to see what happens. Not a bad layout at all.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pcknshvl View Post

Friday: DL 1x5, 3, 2 (weekly, increased weight) + b.o sets 1 x 5 @ 70-80% (Tom C suggested this DL programming); sled
    That's an interesting DL routine. As someone whose DL has always sucked, I'm interested. So you do 1 heavy work set of 5, 3, 2 then back off and do just 1 set of 5 reps at 70-80%?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast