starting strength gym

Thread: SS layout 1x5?

Default SS layout 1x5?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Andy

I read in an old thread that you recommended someone (who was in wrestling preseason) that he could stick to the SS layout 3x a week, but reduce the volume to only 1x5. You then suggested doing conditioning work after the main lifts were done, such as high rep clean and jerks, complexes, sprints, etc.

2 questions:
    Can someone still make LP gains by doing only one top set throughout the week? How would you go about adding weight to the bar in a weekly basis (HLM set up or every workout)?

Once the 1x5 wears off, could you then switch to 1x3? Would back-off sets be necessary?

I tried this workout yesterday in the morning before grappling practice and i felt less worn out and tired than i usually do. But my main concern if this could work on a long enough timeline.

Thanks

1x5 three times per week will probably work for a while. How long? - I don't know. If you feel you need more volume, adding 1-2 back off sets wouldn't be hard

Thanks Andy.

One last question: Is it possible to add weight workout to workout with only one top set each session?

Lifts are still pretty low:
    SQ: 245x3
    B: 210x3
    PR: 165x3
    DL: 265x3
    PC: 185x1

Sure. It'll work for a while. Read Bill Starr's old texts. He was a big proponent of a HLM system that basically used just 1 top set each day