starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check on triples

Default Squat Check on triples

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys,

Despite weeks of trying to prevent it, I can still feel the bar rolling up my back shortly after I begin my ascent out of the hole. This is my last set of triples for that day. Thanks for the critique!

Yeah, it looks like it is inching its way up your back as the set progresses. Not by a lot, but you can see it if you squint. I wonder if it isn't a little too high on your back to start. Also consider experimenting with wrapping your thumbs around the bar to see if that helps. Nice squats otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Yeah, it looks like it is inching its way up your back as the set progresses. Not by a lot, but you can see it if you squint. I wonder if it isn't a little too high on your back to start. Also consider experimenting with wrapping your thumbs around the bar to see if that helps. Nice squats otherwise.
    Is there a small amount of knee slide? Interested because I think I have a problem with knee slide, and am trying to judge its magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Is there a small amount of knee slide? Interested because I think I have a problem with knee slide, and am trying to judge its magnitude.
    Tough to tell from here. Nothing significant that I can see, however.

Thanks for the compliment Tom, some of the credit goes to Karl Schudt. I recently had a training session with him to clean up some form creep in my squat. He suggested I try and get my hands closer together (they were waaaaayyyyy out there) to build the "shelf" on which to place the bar. Now I have a problem similar to Adam Sandler's "50 First Dates"....I call it 50 First Squats. My shoulders are so brutally tight, it's like the first time under a bar EVERY time I get under it. Four days a week for the last four weeks using Paul Horn's stretching technique....and STILL, no real loosening of the shoulders. This makes it really hard to get the bar down to where it needs to be. I'll try your suggestion regarding thumbs around the bar. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Austin Baraki does this to help stabilize the bar.

As for knee slide, I've never really had a problem with this but I'll post the second set from my triples workout. My camera tipped over after my first set and I didn't have it aligned the same so it shows more of my squat in the mirror. Maybe if I have knee slide it will be more apparent? I'm thinking a side view may be more helpful.

Honestly, those are great looking squats from what I can see here. Don't worry about the knee slide thing. People frequently chime in with cues with which I don't agree, or aren't an issue. Carry on, sir.

starting strength coach development program
    Honestly, those are great looking squats from what I can see here. Don't worry about the knee slide thing. People frequently chime in with cues with which I don't agree, or aren't an issue. Carry on, sir.
    High praise coming from you, Tom! Thank you very much for all the time you put in to help us all get better!