starting strength gym

Thread: SSCAC Exercise Science Presentation Part 3

Default SSCAC Exercise Science Presentation Part 3

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

Thanks, as always, for making this available to us.

A quick fix, the last sentence of the description beneath the video says "part two of three."

This was very good and interesting. It's more in depth than any personal training etc course I know of. It's interesting to hear of the physiological differences with older people, and the talk of coaching methods always interests me.

Sullivan's talk of older people taking creatine to help counteract the effects of statins was particularly interesting. I know there's been some study done of using it as a supplement for older people much like protein gets used sometimes - just by having a bit extra you stave off some sarcopenia, even if you don't do much physically. Recently a client enquired about taking creatine, she's in her 60s with high blood pressure (due to nature rather than nurture), and it occurred to me that aside from outright kidney disease I don't know of any contraindications for creatine supplementation.

Awesome stuff. Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks for this, as always.

Where is "annual reviews of relevant scientific literature by experienced practitioners who practice and encourage thorough-going skepticism" on that list of things that make Starting Strength cult-like?

When I was associated with CrossFit, we tried to organize an Exercise Science "Cert". We held two of them, and then it was decided that the product was not important enough to continue to develop.

There seems to be some issue around 31:31. Is it just me or is it broken?

Yes. It's broken there. You get your money back.

Thanks for another great contribution to this site, Sullydog. Good stuff as usual!

starting strength coach development program
    I think I may have found a typo in one of your slides Dr. Sullivan, the slide shown at 16:10, I think the 2nd bullet should say "chronic DE-training" instead of "chronic training". Great stuff as usual.