starting strength gym

Thread: Our off-season lifting program resutls:

Default Our off-season lifting program resutls:

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    After persistant badgering, criticism and overall nagging I finally got to change the teams lifting program this season (I'm heading into my 5th year as an assistant). I could not put in the true novice program because of a handful of obstancles, but I did what I could.

Some obstacles:
    1) The kids had to high bar squat with a manta ray. This was handed down from the AD and HC who didn't want to deal with the complaints, "injury" risk of doing a proper lowbar squat and letting the bar rest on the players "neck". Any and all evidence about the risk of the manta-ray, superiority of the low-bar ect ect was on deaf ears.

2) Several players are lifting in the schools glorified grab-ass weight lifting class.

3) We had to use a trap bar to deadlift because of equipment issues and a very effective salesman that convinced to school to use them. Basically, they were paid for and they were getting used.

4) Wednesday had to be a light day for "safety issues" of squatting heavy that many days a week. They did 3x5 at 80% and or box squats (again, that damn salesman).

Here's what the kids did:
    Squat 3 days a week (even if Wednesday was a light day).
    Alternate Bench/Press.
    Alternate Cleans/Deads
    Do some GHR (to make up for the trap bar).

Everything 3x5, cleans 5x3.

Every kid was given a spreadsheet to record the lifts, with instructions for adding weight at the bottom. Fill out the sheet every lift. Rocket science I know, but only about half the kids managed to do it correctly.

The results have been very promising.
    -We have around 7 kids capable of squatting 300 pounds to depth (3 of them at a bodyweight of 200 or lower).
    - We have about 7 kids benching 225 (mostly different kids).
    -We had 5 (ish) player trap-bar deadliftig over 500, one kid pulled 635.
    - Cleans are tougher to measure, because of form issues. We changed over to the Hi-Pull (must pull the bar to the nipple). This was an explosive pull from the floor, not a standing row.
    - Presses are also tough to measure, because the little bastards won't stop cheating. I choose to use all my asshole on the squat and deadlift, so they get away with a little push pressing.

You've got a fairly bastardized version of the program here. But even a little honest work goes a long way, as you can see. Chip away at them, and maybe by late 2020 the administration will be out of your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sven Draconian View Post
    After persistant badgering, criticism and overall nagging I finally got to change the teams lifting program this season (I'm heading into my 5th year as an assistant). I could not put in the true novice program because of a handful of obstancles, but I did what I could.

Some obstacles:
    1) The kids had to high bar squat with a manta ray. This was handed down from the AD and HC who didn't want to deal with the complaints, "injury" risk of doing a proper lowbar squat and letting the bar rest on the players "neck". Any and all evidence about the risk of the manta-ray, superiority of the low-bar ect ect was on deaf ears.

2) Several players are lifting in the schools glorified grab-ass weight lifting class.

3) We had to use a trap bar to deadlift because of equipment issues and a very effective salesman that convinced to school to use them. Basically, they were paid for and they were getting used.

4) Wednesday had to be a light day for "safety issues" of squatting heavy that many days a week. They did 3x5 at 80% and or box squats (again, that damn salesman).

Here's what the kids did:
    Squat 3 days a week (even if Wednesday was a light day).
    Alternate Bench/Press.
    Alternate Cleans/Deads
    Do some GHR (to make up for the trap bar).

Everything 3x5, cleans 5x3.

Every kid was given a spreadsheet to record the lifts, with instructions for adding weight at the bottom. Fill out the sheet every lift. Rocket science I know, but only about half the kids managed to do it correctly.

The results have been very promising.
    -We have around 7 kids capable of squatting 300 pounds to depth (3 of them at a bodyweight of 200 or lower).
    - We have about 7 kids benching 225 (mostly different kids).
    -We had 5 (ish) player trap-bar deadliftig over 500, one kid pulled 635.
    - Cleans are tougher to measure, because of form issues. We changed over to the Hi-Pull (must pull the bar to the nipple). This was an explosive pull from the floor, not a standing row.
    - Presses are also tough to measure, because the little bastards won't stop cheating. I choose to use all my asshole on the squat and deadlift, so they get away with a little push pressing.
    Good for you in doing what you can.

I have my own place and the kids come to me so I have more control over the situation but the results are obvious. I place them on SS, they show up 3 times a week, they mostly eat the way I tell them because I yell at them every Monday/Wednesday/and Friday (and they are paying a little money) and they get stronger. It's amazing the recovery a 16 year old has and some of the things I have witnessed are really eye opening. I wish I would have been shown this when I was 16.

This will be the second season in a row I will send a football player back to their school and he will be the strongest kid at their combine by far. I will have a 15/16 year old squat 400 by the start of this football season and another 17 year old squat very close to 400 or possibly more at a bodyweight of 190 or so. The amazing thing? I have not had one coach come to my facility to talk to me yet. And I have offered to offer help any way I can at their school.

Keep up the work and one day those kids will be very happy they had the opportunity to train with you.