starting strength gym

Thread: DL form check please

Default DL form check please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Here I am after a two week layoff due to travel. Target was to repeat a 5RM @ 410, but only got two reps. I felt empty after the second rep. I managed another rep after a 10 minute rest, and ran empty again.

Looks like I'm still trying to do a stiff legged DL, but it doesn't feel that way.

VNV - Starting Strength Forums(1771230) on Vimeo

Thanks for your time, attn, and expertise.

Vince
    Last edited by VNV; 12-02-2016 at 08:28 PM.

You're setting up too close to the bar, and toes are turned out too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    You're setting up too close to the bar, and toes are turned out too much.
    Thanks. Will adjust. But I think there was a 1 inch gap between shins and bar. About two finger widths.

How do you measure this? If you bend over to look, are your shins moving? Almost certainly yes, BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUS IN THE VIDEO THAT YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO THE BAR. In any event, how can you see in THIS video? You're wearing sweats. And they are draped over the bar. Other give-aways: Your arms are hanging back at far more than 7-10 degrees, and your shins are vertical.

Either that, or you are using internet inches.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-01-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Default DL form check please

How do you measure this? If you bend over to look, are your shins moving? Almost certainly yes, BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUS IN THE VIDEO THAT YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO THE BAR. In any event, how can you see in THIS video? You're wearing sweats. And they are draped over the bar. Other give-aways: Your arms are hanging back at far more than 7-10 degrees, and your shins are vertical.

[Double post. See next.]
    Last edited by VNV; 12-02-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Got it, too close. I also use bar placement over the foot as an indicator. I tend to place the bar towards the top of the laces. Apparently I need to recalibrate that.

You probably know this but the alternate grip makes a big difference. I used it to get unstuck at 5x295. I now do all my warm-ups using standard grip and then switch to the alternate grip for the heavy set.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by scted View Post
    You probably know this but the alternate grip makes a big difference. I used it to get unstuck at 5x295. I now do all my warm-ups using standard grip and then switch to the alternate grip for the heavy set.
    Thank you. I'll consider this. Hook grip didn't feel weak, but maybe there's a proprioceptive difference that would matter.

Vince