• starting strength seminar december 2024
    Male, 21 yo, 6'1", 215lbs, on SS for ~8 months

Work sets:
    Squat-295
    Bench-145
    DL-325
    OHP-110
    PC-145

Presses/bench have been stalling for the past few weeks. I've deloaded twice, eaten significantly more, checked form, rested more, etc but nothing seems to get it to budge. All other lifts are continuing to increase as well. What's the problem? Should I start microloading? Could it be my triceps? Honestly I'm incredibly frustrated right now and any help would be appreciated

What's your volume? What program are you on, specifically? What jumps are you trying to take? You obviously have LOTS of room for increase. My guess that you either need more volume or are trying to take too large increases.

I'm more than three times your age and 40 lbs lighter, but my presses are about the same and increasing by about a pound a week, average. I'm on an intermediate program where I bench and press heavy and light every week, and I also do dumbbell press and do various tricep extensions weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    What's your volume? What program are you on, specifically? What jumps are you trying to take? You obviously have LOTS of room for increase. My guess that you either need more volume or are trying to take too large increases.

I'm more than three times your age and 40 lbs lighter, but my presses are about the same and increasing by about a pound a week, average. I'm on an intermediate program where I bench and press heavy and light every week, and I also do dumbbell press and do various tricep extensions weekly.
    I'm on Starting Strength. My volume is 3x5 for working sets. Trying to make 5lb jumps

Use smaller jumps. It seems like you may have had a couples of stalls based on 8 months of SS with those bench/press numbers. 2.5lbs jumps and maybe even 1lbs jumps after that are important for continued progress before eventually switching to intermediate programming and adding volume.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    SS for ~8 months?

Something is fucked up. SS has about a 4-5 month shelf life, even with microloading.

Post videos.
    Especially at 21.

What do you mean something is fucked up? Form? Will post videos Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Smallark View Post
    What do you mean something is fucked up? Form? Will post videos Monday
    I think that means that an 8 month SS linear progression at three sets of 5 across is an extreme case. Your failing press and bench would support this view. You should have switched to microloading after your first press and bench reset.

You have Practical Programming ? First press reset, start microloading, or preferably do it before you need to reset, second reset go to top set plus back offs. then go to sets of three and then go to another program. Or possibly some other order, you have the book ? check it.

Spinning your gears on the press so that your press to deadlift ratio is only 0.36 indicates poor programming. Your bench appears to be suffering in the same way.

If you gained 10 more pounds, your lifts would shoot up. But more realistically, you've been wasting time because SS doesn't go 8 months unless you're a genetic freak.

Time to switch up your programming. If you've deloaded a few times and are still stalling, you probably need more volume.

How have you been making 5lbs jumps for 8 months? Even if you started at 0 you should be benching 240 lbs by now. If you stalled on the way you should have already started microloading methinks.

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

starting strength coach development program
    Are you failing on the first set or subsequent sets? How long are your rest periods between work sets?