starting strength gym

Thread: Annular tear

Default Annular tear

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Injured my back deadlifting (MRI showed an L4/L5 annular tear but no true radiopathy). Symptoms all gone but doing a 10 week spinal rehab physio programme and keen to get back lifting.

Anyone have any experience of this? I am a little bit nervous about doing heavy deadlifts again and concerned about whether it would be easy to re-injure my back. I had probably lapsed into some bad habits with my deadlift and will be much more particular about my form/rounding from now on - but still concerned that if form breaks down under a heavy load that I could pop my back or end up with a worse injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Knowland has experience with this:

Annular tear?

Funny title. You do not want to know what I thought you were refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by salvilla View Post
    Funny title. You do not want to know what I thought you were refering to.
    Need to be a bit more careful with the terminology!

Read Austin Baraki's articles on pain and rehab so you don't waste your time on stupid stuff.

Use light weights to begin with, and work back up slowly with textbook form. I pulled semi-sumo to begin with because conventional would just make my back spasm/cramp so hard between sets that I couldn't get much volume in. But I went back to conventional as soon as I could, and it helped more.

Be patient with yourself, especially with the deadlift. Unlike the squat, where you get to feel the weight before you have to lift it, which can have the effect of psyching you up (a bit like getting hit first in a fight), a heavy deadlift requires a definite resolve to break the bar off the floor. Doubting yourself can sabotage the lift. 'You're either in, or you're in the way.' You see this a lot when guys don't even budge a weight, get in the right frame of mind, and then come back and crush it. This doesn't happen as much with the squat or bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Read Austin Baraki's articles on pain and rehab so you don't waste your time on stupid stuff.

Use light weights to begin with, and work back up slowly with textbook form. I pulled semi-sumo to begin with because conventional would just make my back spasm/cramp so hard between sets that I couldn't get much volume in. But I went back to conventional as soon as I could, and it helped more.

Be patient with yourself, especially with the deadlift. Unlike the squat, where you get to feel the weight before you have to lift it, which can have the effect of psyching you up (a bit like getting hit first in a fight), a heavy deadlift requires a definite resolve to break the bar off the floor. Doubting yourself can sabotage the lift. 'You're either in, or you're in the way.' You see this a lot when guys don't even budge a weight, get in the right frame of mind, and then come back and crush it. This doesn't happen as much with the squat or bench.

Thanks Will, very much appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by alan.s.fuller View Post
    Injured my back deadlifting (MRI showed an L4/L5 annular tear but no true radiopathy). Symptoms all gone but doing a 10 week spinal rehab physio programme and keen to get back lifting.

Anyone have any experience of this? I am a little bit nervous about doing heavy deadlifts again and concerned about whether it would be easy to re-injure my back. I had probably lapsed into some bad habits with my deadlift and will be much more particular about my form/rounding from now on - but still concerned that if form breaks down under a heavy load that I could pop my back or end up with a worse injury.

I deal with these all the time. The lecture I gave at the SSCAC meeting this year involved some discussion on annular tear.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Will, I will watch the lecture asap