starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had knee gel injections for arthritis?

Default Anyone had knee gel injections for arthritis?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    How did it work? How long did it last? The evidence seems to be inconclusive. The alternative seems to be to wait until the osteoarthritis advances to the point a knee replacement is warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    How did it work? How long did it last? The evidence seems to be inconclusive. The alternative seems to be to wait until the osteoarthritis advances to the point a knee replacement is warranted.
    i thought Umairsemail has this done

http://startingstrength.com/resource...njections.html

he's 24 y.o.
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-10-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks

There's a long discussion of this on the latest Ask Rip podcast from a seminar Q&A. Admittedly I couldn't hear most of it during my first listen because of different audio levels (Rip's mic versus the one on the seminar attendee).

If you're speaking of hyaluronic acid injections I have had a series of three injections over three weeks. That was probably around 8 years ago and I've been cured since then. No pain at all no stiffness at all anymore. However I've been told I'm atypical. Most people need continuing injections every 6 to 18 months.

Can't speak for arthritis, but Synvisc One definitely works for patellofemoral pain disorder. It basically acts like extra synovial fluid.

Generally viscosupplementation is a good idea though.
    Last edited by umairsemail; 08-12-2016 at 12:51 AM.

I have had them a couple of times. The work for me for about a year. My history; 65 years old, has meniscus tears and arthroscopic surgery in one knee about 12 yrs ago and the other about 7 yrs ago. For me it seems to take about two weeks to really work. As the effects wear off - as I wrote, for me it about a year, the knees start to ache more and I start using ibuprofen more frequently. Getting to depth on the squats becomes harder.

In general, I find squatting helps my knees. Dead lifts - not so much. It may be due to where the meniscus is thin on my knees. I get Supartz injections. This is a series of 5 injections. I asked about the other types of injections. My orthopedic said he uses Supartz because he gets the best results with it. I don't know about any difference. It is expensive but my insurance covers the bulk of the cost. I hope this info helps.

I was the one asking the question at the seminar about synvisc. I was strongly encouraged by Rip and Coach Deaton not to do it and to keep squatting as much as I could tolerate. Coach Deaton said "motion is lotion". He said when things get inflamed to back off a little but to keep doing what your doing..

Right now (51 end of Aug) I do:

Tue
    Snatch
    Bench

Thur
    C+J
    Back Squat

Sat
    DL
    Press

Before this I ran the novice program for about 14 weeks before the June seminar the week following meniscus surgery. Went from surgery to 365x5x3 on squats, 405x5 DL and 150x5 press.

Didn't do snatches or CJ the entire cycle (only cleans opposite DL day). Came back a couple weeks ago with some friends and did the full lifts for first time in about four months and did 187 snatch and 226 CJ, equal to what I did at worlds Aug of last year..

Getting stronger helps alot of stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post
    I was the one asking the question at the seminar about synvisc. I was strongly encouraged by Rip and Coach Deaton not to do it and to keep squatting as much as I could tolerate.
    Ok this kinda pisses me off based on how much syncvisc has helped me when everything else failed. The benefits of hyaluronic acid injections far outweigh the risks. I am thinking that Rip was under the impression that these injections were cortisone shots and not something that actually lubricates your joint space. He thinks weight lifting is the end all be all for every problem in life. Rip is not qualified to make such suggestions and should refrain from doing so.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    Ok this kinda pisses me off based on how much syncvisc has helped me when everything else failed. The benefits of hyaluronic acid injections far outweigh the risks. I am thinking that Rip was under the impression that these injections were cortisone shots and not something that actually lubricates your joint space. He thinks weight lifting is the end all be all for every problem in life. Rip is not qualified to make such suggestions and should refrain from doing so.
    And a little punk like you is qualified?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast