starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Math is hard

Default Math is hard

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coming back after a week on the road - it's press night (dammit). I set out to do my 5s, only to find that the most I can manage are triples.

Take another look at the bar and realize that I've overloaded it by 10 lbs. I think I've just had a "senior moment".

Could be worse. I set an inadvertent deadlift PR with a pair of 45's and a ten, then a 35 on one side and a 25 on the other. I didn't notice what was wrong - but knew something was - until I'd finished both sets.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Could be worse. I set an inadvertent deadlift PR with a pair of 45's and a ten, then a 35 on one side and a 25 on the other. I didn't notice what was wrong - but knew something was - until I'd finished both sets.
    I see people say this quite regularly so it seems not unusual. I've never misloaded and not known it straight away, which lead me to wonder how people do not notice straight away?

Perhaps it makes the difference is more noticeable with heavier weights than it is with lighter weights?
    Last edited by Jacob R; 07-05-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Plate math. The bane of my existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Plate math. The bane of my existence.
    If you think thats annoying, imagine having to convert every single number in this forum by dividing it by 2.2 to understand what weights people are talking about

Not to mention having to correct for the reverse Coriolis Effect in the Southern Hemisphere.

Well, it had been a pretty grueling week on the road with no opportunity to train. My *plan* was to just repeat my last workout from before the trip - I was feeling really bad that I'd lost so much ground in one week until I realized that I'd set an accidental PR. I suppose the fact that I've just got a set of black bumpers contributed to the miscount.

Those were some slow, grindy presses I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    If you think thats annoying, imagine having to convert every single number in this forum by dividing it by 2.2 to understand what weights people are talking about
    At least they're honest-to-God, metric-based American pounds. I'm going to renumber all my plates in scruples just to make my numbers sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    I see people say this quite regularly so it seems not unusual. I've never misloaded and not known it straight away, which lead me to wonder how people do not notice straight away?

Perhaps it makes the difference is more noticeable with heavier weights than it is with lighter weights?
    I figured it was just a shitty setup making it feel all off.

starting strength coach development program
    i do it more than i care to admit, and spend many a long moment staring at the bar as my mind misses a shift whilst trying to add up the weight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast