starting strength gym

Thread: Belt and shoes...

Default Belt and shoes...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Newbie, been Exercising 10 yrs, now Training, should have read Rip years ago, usual story. You'll all be delighted to hear high pulls are now proper cleans.

I need recommendations for shoes and belt available in the UK, all help appreciated.

Shoes. Adidas powerlift 2 pretty widely available. Strength shop have some lesser known brands that might be okay. More Mile from Start Fitness are forty quid.

Running shops like Wiggle and Achiles heel have lifting shoes, but they don't have a category, so they get listed as training shoes.

Stop Press: Powerlift 2 are reduced because the Powerlift 3 is out. Here

Strength shop and Pullum sports sell belts. So do ebay and the strength shop items don't look all that special.

I'd get the powerperfect 2 over the powerlift (also available on wiggle).

Belt choice in the uk isn't great unless you go for the new SBD. My best belt (which I imported) is better than anything else i've seen used by other powerlifters who got theres in the uk. This includes inzer, zulu, toro and the shit that strengthshop sell. If I was buying again I'd import one from general leathercraft (despite what the £ is doing).

How much you got?

If money = no prob., shoes: get Adipower or Romaleous; belt: SBD (some cool locking mechanism, I've heard. They are big player in the field, overall, and they're based in U.K.) or general leathercraft (honestly General leathercraft isn't expensive at all for a quality belt, but if you're into customizing your belt, they're the company. Might factor in shipping).

If money = slight problem, go with powerperfect or SABO powerlift for shoes; belt: still General Leathercraft (I like the company and the owner, so I may be biased here, and so are the numerous strong folks on here), but less customization.

If money = big problem, go with some Chinese shoes, or order the SABO from Russian, that might be cheaper, or the powerlift(which is a pair of Chinese shoes, like pretty much everything from Nike and Adidas, but they get the job done, and doesn't suck very bad), belt: still GL, but get something basic, just bare leather with prong, check the returned belt too. Just PM Matt, the owner, he will hook you up.

There are some mid-level shoes out there like reebook crossfit (which I have heard is good), but I'm not sure they have heels. Except for the SBD, everything else is pretty much tried-and-true goods, which is a good thing. Those are the brands, but you have to do your homework too if you care enough about budget and how you train with them.

Thanks all, much appreciated. Adidas shoes on order. GL tough - don't mind paying for quality but shipping is ridiculous; UK distributor needed!