starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Different Kind of Bar Recommendation Question

Default A Different Kind of Bar Recommendation Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Sometimes I use the local HS gym (before kid's games). My daughter lifts there more often. The weight room has squat racks and a deadlift platform but the bars are total SHIT. Bent, chipped and 2 of them look like the maint. department cobbled sleeves on the end that are not OEM; they're even hard to spin by hand. One bar is downright cambered.

I want to donate a bar to the school. I am not looking to spend a fortune (~$200-400) and for that price my priority is durability first, functional quality second. In other words, I want a modestly priced bar that will perform OK with general powerlifting lifts and will take the beating that HS kids will throw at it, at least for a few years.

Does this bar exist?

Yeah. The rogue B&R bar or the Ohio bar. Both are damn strong, but I think the Ohio bar is a little stronger and a little stiffer.

The problem is that the best steel in the world will still bend when someone drops it crooked with 400lbs on it, because they thought they could squat that much.

Why do you want to donate a bar to them?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

CAP OB-86B. Good bar for a budget. Been discussed here many times.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Yeah. The rogue B&R bar or the Ohio bar. Both are damn strong, but I think the Ohio bar is a little stronger and a little stiffer.

The problem is that the best steel in the world will still bend when someone drops it crooked with 400lbs on it, because they thought they could squat that much.

Why do you want to donate a bar to them?
    thanks. I want t donate a bar because I know some of the football players, my daughter lifts there sometimes and their bars are horrible. And because I am at a point in my life now where I CAN do something nice like that. It may not be volunteering to coach, or donating a wing to the library, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8shutr View Post
    CAP OB-86B. Good bar for a budget. Been discussed here many times.
    ill look into it, and the Ohio bar

Thanks

So you don't have the budget to see an SSC or to join a BJJ gym but you want to donate a bar to a high school? I love OZ fan fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddyin94 View Post
    So you don't have the budget to see an SSC or to join a BJJ gym but you want to donate a bar to a high school? I love OZ fan fiction.
    You really checked your IQ at the door didn't you. Or maybe you're just simply too stupid to read, like the part where I wrote SS coach at the end of February?

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    You really checked your IQ at the door didn't you. Or maybe you're just simply too stupid to read, like the part where I wrote SS coach at the end of February?
    So tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddyin94 View Post
    So tomorrow?
    I don't like OZ very much, but is this the kind of thing you'd say to someone in person?
    OZ has done nothing in this thread to incite your sarcasm.
    You don't need to go out of your way to start drama.

If you don't like OZ and his questions, simply don't reply to them on the board. It's not that hard.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I don't like OZ very much, but is this the kind of thing you'd say to someone in person?
    OZ has done nothing in this thread to incite your sarcasm.
    You don't need to go out of your way to start drama.

If you don't like OZ and his questions, simply don't reply to them on the board. It's not that hard.
    How heavy is the cape you are wearing?

OZ has no intention of doing any of the things he posts about. OZ personally attacks anyone who says anything to him. I am literally asking him to follow though on ANY of the things he says he's going to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast