starting strength gym

Thread: Not a question, an observation

Default Not a question, an observation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Thought it might be worth sharing, I'll be succinct.

My friend, 42 years old. 220lbs last November. Never managed to squat 315 for a set of 5, always quit at rep 3. Told him to stop looking at his stupid face in the mirror, out some weight on and get some balls. He's a stubborn fucker though program hopping and refusing to put weight on.

Breaks a bone in his foot. Can't squat for 2 months.

Over Christmas, he "fat fucks himself" (his words) and "loses a ton of strength" (again, his words).

Starts back in January, weighing in at 230lbs, and squats 225lbs for 5x5. I told him he needed to find his 5rm and work from there. He disagrees.

Finally gets over to my gym. He's looking down when he squats, as his gym moved the rack away from the mirrors. He agrees to find his 5rm. I watch his warm up sets and tell him to go for 315.

Which he gets, for 5, easily for the first time in his lifting career of just shy of 3 years.

All of his lifts have gone up, with a 10lb gain in weight.

Thought this might be interesting. Maybe not!

That is an unusual occurrence. Weight gain can help with lifting, but something else is going on if he PRs his squat after a 2 month layoff. How tall is this fellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    That is an unusual occurrence. Weight gain can help with lifting, but something else is going on if he PRs his squat after a 2 month layoff. How tall is this fellow?
    6 feet and one inch

The change to keeping his head down might have more to do with it, but the layoff does seem to have done him good.

Might he have been over trained/ under recovered?

I would guess that he was not really training before. If someone had to work very hard to get to a 315 pound triple on the squat and then ceased squatting for 2 months, they would not come back and hit 315 for 5. If someone could squat 405 for a triple, then maybe they would come back at 315, at least within a few training sessions. I stand by my assertion that there is something else going on here.

This is wonderful! I can't wait to tell him.

Thank you for your input.

Were these squats all to depth?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Were these squats all to depth?
    Yup. We're sticklers for such things.

Does he normally lift on his own?

Maybe just the fact you were there encouraging/coaching him, led to him pushing through and grinding out more reps, whereas on his own he wouldn't?

starting strength coach development program
    He's pussied out in front of me many a time. Encouragement seems to make him quit earlier.

I think Tom had it right. I've let him know and he'll probably ignore us all.