starting strength gym

Thread: Home Training?

Default Home Training?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mr Rippetoe, i recently purchased and read Starting Strength and was very impressed with the sheer detail it goes into, though being a complete novice some of it did go way over my head but i'm sure i'll start to grasp it better after re-reading it.

I live on a small island in the UK and as such only have access to one gym.
    I signed up yesterday and was given a briefing of all the equipment etc and the trainer said he would write me a program, when i told him i wanted to be doing the novice program outlined in Starting Strength here are some of the things he told me:

It's far too low volume and intensity to build muscle.

I shouldn't be lifting heavy weights because i'm so skinny and it could cause dislocations or tiny fractures in my bones.

Using heavy weights is only optimal for powerlifters.

If i want to gain weight i should eat loads for a few months til i gain about 10lbs of fat then go to the gym and turn it to muscle.

Only experienced trainees can use the racks.

He then went on to give me a program consisting of a circuit doing 15-20 reps on each station i.e. leg extensions, pec-dec, lat pulldown, curl machine, press machine and dumbell curls followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Now being completely new to all this should i follow his advice? Or alternatively i could invest in some olympic weights a bench and a power rack and workout at home, would this be safe and worthwhile.

Sorry for the really long post resulting in a very simple question it's just i'm a little confused. Thank you for the book and for your time.

It seems to be a primitive little island. Was he wearing a loincloth with "Trainer" embroidered on it? Honestly, if you have to do what he says, you can't train there, and you'll have to get some equipment.

You should write "experienced trainee" on a white t-shirt and go start using the racks. Then no one could dispute you.

We need a serious purging of the personnel in the fitness industry. Perhaps we could use Joshua's small little island to hide all the bodies.

I'll provide the ammo.

Haha feel free to use my homeland to cover up your homicidal tendencies, i wont tell honest.

In all seriousness though i'm guessing this guy is talking complete shit, if this is the case how the hell do these people get jobs as 'trainers'.

Looks like i'm gonna have to go the home training route after all, such a shame.

Can't we beat them with Olympic bars instead? Vents frustration and a decent workout as well.

I know a good butcher, we could handle this "sweeney todd" style.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    If i want to gain weight i should eat loads for a few months til i gain about 10lbs of fat then go to the gym and turn it to muscle.
    Classic.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    In all seriousness though i'm guessing this guy is talking complete shit, if this is the case how the hell do these people get jobs as 'trainers'.
    Like you said, it's a small island.