• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    26, Female, 147lbs - ~6ft or a little less
    Runs 3-5 times a week for 30-60mins

Current macros look like:

80grams protein
    195grams carbohydrate, 65grams from rice crackers
    100grams fat, 25gms from avocado

Now to hit recomp. figures I've suggested she throw in a sweet potato (which are large, ~200grams in this country) to hit a 4th meal, pre-workout.
    Take the avocado out of her breakfast to bring the fat intake down/not eat a packet of rice crackers a day...and add two 50gm protein shakes into her day, one between lunch and breakfast and one with the potato pre-workout.

I've already gotten her drinking two glasses of milk a day, and eating a few eggs. She's taken a few months to build up to it, but with that all considered her figures will look closer to the:

Goal:
    160 grams protein
    147 grams carbohydrate
    40 grams fat

...That your article recommends.
    I've convinced her to swap one workout with hill sprints instead of steady state running, and taught her a few kettle bell movements until I can get her into a gym for some structured resistance training.

Is there anything else I can suggest to deal with her diet's problems?
    She's eaten this way for about 10 years. She's finally changed her mind on meat after a few months of me discussing the ethics with her, but is struggling with fear surrounding eating it.

I hope bacon will be the gateway food.

I'd probably keep her fat a bit higher to begin, ~55g. Then I'd have her start taking Betaine HCl w/ pepsin with her meat-containing meals. Should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    My experience of converting the wife is to use fish. No head, bones, scales, nothing too chewy (e.g. marlin), just plain white fish like cod, pollock etc. Fish pie, fish cakes etc with a tonne of veg in them. Most other things were too strong tasting, too intelligent, or too cute to contemplate. Best of luck with a little, curly cute piggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    Vegetarian kryptonite, FTW

I have some vegan friends, some of whom are in very good physical shape. But they aren't powerlifters or bodybuilders, which I used as one excuse for not being vegan. Apart from that loving meat thing. Anyway, I've heard numerous times about vegan bodybuilders and such. If your friend is serious about building muscle she may want to check into the "vegan weightlifting community", if you will. From what I gather from my reading (and probable misreading), their workouts are somewhat different than meat eaters, like shorter and more intense, or something, like they don't have as much stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by CFPeterson View Post
    I have some vegan friends, some of whom are in very good physical shape. But they aren't powerlifters or bodybuilders, which I used as one excuse for not being vegan. Apart from that loving meat thing. Anyway, I've heard numerous times about vegan bodybuilders and such. If your friend is serious about building muscle she may want to check into the "vegan weightlifting community", if you will. From what I gather from my reading (and probable misreading), their workouts are somewhat different than meat eaters, like shorter and more intense, or something, like they don't have as much stamina.
    The thing isn't whether or not you can't be big and strong and be a vegetarian, the thing is is it optimal for getting big and strong, especially in the absence of drugs. Further, nutrient deficiencies, which are stupidly common in veg-heads take years to manifest and mess with health status. On the other hand, if you're a vegetarian and will eat whey protein, eggs, and fish, well, that'd be okay. Vegans on the other hand.....

Thanks for your help with this, Mr J-Boom. It's appreciated... I'll go hunt that supplement, though I've just made some sauerkraut and might send her some until its ships in from wherever sells it.

The issue for me is that a vegetarian diet has shown to have some therapeutic effects when used VERY BRIEFLY, it's a terrible option for the reasons Jordan mentioned. (And a few
    more)
    She has been anaemic for as long as I can remember, and that is a big concern for me.
    I've fought little battles over the last few years, eggs and milk was first... Then creatine supplementation, then whey protein... Now meat.

Given the option of convincing someone to re-assume a long forgotten meat eating diet that will show hormonal, muscular and other health benefits I will work fucking hard to help out.

Never forget vegetarian protein is not only not optimal, but in-fact kills MORE sentient animals than just eating a cow.

So, fair to say you're not a huge fan of a diet deficient in useful protein, vitamins A, K2, E, D3, several of the B's, essential fats, and cholesterol? Who'd have thunk it?

For me the gateway meat was barbecued tri-tip, Santa Maria style.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    So, fair to say you're not a huge fan of a diet deficient in useful protein, vitamins A, K2, E, D3, several of the B's, essential fats, and cholesterol? Who'd have thunk it?
    Strange, I know.