starting strength gym

Thread: Should I stay the course or adjust?

Default Should I stay the course or adjust?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    50yo, male, 5'11" 245 - 250 (depending on the day)

I am doing a recomposition. My training is going excellent.(other than I keep pulling my left hamstring; prowler,sprints, LISS all seem to pull it)

My bodyweight is maintaining. I can really see changes in my arms, shoulders, glutes and legs. The only thing that has not changed is my waist. Still at 44/43 depending on the day.

It seems to be working because i have gained muscle size/strength in all areas so I have bound to have lost fat because my weight has maintained.

Should I stay the course? Eventually it will get around to burning my belly fat right?

Thanks

Your weight has been staying the same too? What about your lifting belt, has its fitment changed? Also, can you do prowler walks?

I think I have had to tighten my belt a notch; not positive. My weight has stayed within the same 245-250 range. I have been doing the prowler (50 -75% sprint, trying to protect hamstring)twice a week, for a couple of weeks. 50' downhill with uprights, 50' uphill low handles, 4 rounds. Unless it rains. It is on a gravel/caliche road so the max load i have put on it is 30#'s. I had/have plenty of fat to lose. I was about 30% using the Army tape method.

I'd just give up for prowler sprinting right now and walk with it instead, heavy or light, it matters not.

I'd also pull some carbs and fat out of what you're eating right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'd just give up for prowler sprinting right now and walk with it instead, heavy or light, it matters not.

I'd also pull some carbs and fat out of what you're eating right now.
    OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. Jordan following your advice on slow cutting, since May 20th I have been slowly removing 5 g fat, 20 g carbs every week. I've lost 2 lbs of bw, and thankfully lifts are still holding. Now is there a time when protein should be adjusted slightly down?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. Jordan following your advice on slow cutting, since May 20th I have been slowly removing 5 g fat, 20 g carbs every week. I've lost 2 lbs of bw, and thankfully lifts are still holding. Now is there a time when protein should be adjusted slightly down?
    Not really over the course of a truncated leaning out period. Might have to adjust it over the course of a year long "cut" though when protein starts to creep up past 40% of daily calories. I'd also go slower with what you're removing weekly and, in fact, probably take stuff out every other week at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Not really over the course of a truncated leaning out period. Might have to adjust it over the course of a year long "cut" though when protein starts to creep up past 40% of daily calories. I'd also go slower with what you're removing weekly and, in fact, probably take stuff out every other week at the most.
    Thanks for the quick reply Jordan. Do you suggest that my weight loss has been too fast? My original objective was losing 2 lbs a month (or was that too aggressive?). Probably I'll fall short on that with the current rate of bw loss. Anyway I'll keep protein at the current level, as suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Jordan. Do you suggest that my weight loss has been too fast? My original objective was losing 2 lbs a month (or was that too aggressive?). Probably I'll fall short on that with the current rate of bw loss. Anyway I'll keep protein at the current level, as suggested.
    No, it's just that there's an ebb and flow to weight loss and sometimes it takes longer than a week to realize the effect of a macro change.

Question about set point theory. I think I read some where it was partly genetic. At 18, I weighed 185. It strong and still had quite a bit of fat. In my early 20's I hit 300. Late 20's got back to 215 in the summer, 230 in the winter (job peaked in the summer). Early 30's maintained 200 - 210 (Army) late 30's to now gone from 230 - 265@ with most of the time spent where I am now 245 - 250. At no point would you have ever called me a skinny fat. My dad was a stud in high school. 6'2", 225. In the 1940's this was a big man. Looking at pictures of him I am following the same path. Except I am working on not getting into the 350 range he got to!
    Do you think the body has a set point for fat or homeostasis of fat? If so, how do you change it?

starting strength coach development program
    Do you think the body has a set point for fat or homeostasis of fat? If so, how do you change it?
    I'm fairly certain it does, although to what degree genetics influence it is unknown to me outside of the fact that it does. There are, of course, plenty of other contributors too.

How do you modify it? Training, diet, conditioning, drugs, etc.