starting strength gym

Thread: Massachusetts Area Coaches

Default Massachusetts Area Coaches

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The directory at http://startingstrength.org/index.php/site/coaches doesn't show any coaches near Massachusetts. Can anyone suggest a resource? I'm about 15 minutes from Providence, Rhode Island and I don't mind driving.

We'll ask.

There are spots left for the Maryland seminar. It's a smooth 7 hour drive from Boston down there for any prospective coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    any prospective coaches.
    Both mgilchrest and tmcnulty come to mind as highly eligible candidates whose board posts demonstrate a firm grasp of the models and analysis behind what being an SSC is all about. I'm sure there are others. You guys don't have to quit your day jobs to benefit from attaining the credential. Look at guys like Brodie B or Dr. Sullivan who manage to maintain their credential and find benefit from it without giving up their prestigious and/or lucrative careers. It will make you an even better lifter and coach. Guys, seriously, PM me if you want to know what life is like as a newly minted SSC. As this post demonstrates, there's a demand for your services that greatly outweighs the supply. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianInTraining View Post
    The directory at http://startingstrength.org/index.php/site/coaches doesn't show any coaches near Massachusetts. Can anyone suggest a resource? I'm about 15 minutes from Providence, Rhode Island and I don't mind driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Both mgilchrest and tmcnulty come to mind as highly eligible candidates whose board posts demonstrate a firm grasp of the models and analysis behind what being an SSC is all about. I'm sure there are others. You guys don't have to quit your day jobs to benefit from attaining the credential. Look at guys like Brodie B or Dr. Sullivan who manage to maintain their credential and find benefit from it without giving up their prestigious and/or lucrative careers. It will make you an even better lifter and coach. Guys, seriously, PM me if you want to know what life is like as a newly minted SSC. As this post demonstrates, there's a demand for your services that greatly outweighs the supply. You won't regret it.
    Thanks, Adam!

mgilchrest is in the Providence area, and I'm northwest of Boston.

Also, there are the good, strong folks at Cambridge S&C. I've gotten some great coaching from Micah, who may or may not still lurk on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    This (lacking an SSC) appears to be both a problem and an opportunity. Per Wikipedia:

Greater Boston is tenth in population among U.S. metropolitan statistical areas in the United States, home to 4,684,299 people as of the 2013 U.S. Census and is ranked sixth among CSAs (combined statistical areas), having 8,041,303 people.

Hopefully this will change.
    The Boston area is also:
    • A sports hub, with
    • A cultural appreciation of (endurance) athletics, with
    • A dearth of weight-training facilities, outside of the university system.

There's potential here.

Agreed on the North East being the sahara of strength. No coaches in ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, or RI.

starting strength coach development program
    Just give Mike Boyle a call...